Sunday, May 10, 2020

What We're Doing

1. Puzzle #7. Done.

2. More reading. I just finished The Girls With No Names---I rated this book 4 stars. It's a book of fiction, but based on a true place--Mercy House in New York City in the early part of the 1900's. You might recall my report about the Magdalena Laundries in Ireland. Well, this is the American version.

I came across this quote recently. It's exactly how I've always felt about reading!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. A non-reader lives only one!" 

Or this one:
"Reading can take you to far away places while staying at home!" That's especially appropriate now!

3. We started the new Netflix series Hollywood. Not too impressed with the first episode. I'll give it another go. Not so sure about Butch.

4. I made an old recipe that I haven't made for years. So easy. It's from a now defunk restaurant in St. Louis that was once very popular. Everyone went there for homecoming or prom. It's been gone for pretty many years now. Even though this recipe has the name of the restaurant on it, somehow I seriously doubt they used Campbell's soup!

Noah's Ark Clam Chowder
1 can New England clam chowder
1 can cream of potato
1 can cream of celery
1 can Pet evaporated milk

Do not add water. Heat through. 

I served it with those Olive Cheese Muffins I told you about a few weeks ago.

5. I saved the best for last.

I was sitting on the porch swing out front reading when all of a sudden, I heard the ice cream man! What??? I didn't know there even were ice cream trucks anymore. I jumped up and yelled in the door, "Butch, bring money---the ice cream truck is coming!" 

When he came out, I told him that he needed to go because I had my slippers on (I always wear slippers at home). So, he did!
Kids being kids, were all running after the truck. I told Butch to run too. He didn't! He waited and waited.
 Then he was about to give up because about the time the kids were done, more kids showed up on bikes and scooters rather than wait for the truck to come to them.
 Finally! It made me so happy that he would do that for me.
He got me a bomb pop! They are not the same as they were when we were kids. 
But it was still nostalgic. I ate all the red and then passed it to Butch. I didn't really care about it---it was about the experience---and supporting the ice cream man. Considering our "old" neighborhood is turning over, there are tons of kids now. Still, it was a little bit of fun and excitement for me on a Thursday afternoon!

Happy Mother's Day! I hope you can have a little fun today!


1 comment:

  1. What a treat to have an ice cream truck in the neighborhood, and even more so a man who will wait for it for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.