Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tuesday Thoughts About....

...slippers. 

So, when Stephanie had some new slippers sent to me for Mother's Day, I got to thinking. I hope she got the "non-slip" variety. She did. They are perfect!

But, that got me to thinking. Why would footwear be called "slip"pers? The name itself makes you think they could be slippery. So, I did what I always do---because I want to know EVERYTHING!! I looked it up. This is what I found:


The word comes from the verb “to slip”.  It is thought that slippers were originally from the East but they have been worn by every culture.  The earliest recorded reference to the slipper was is in the 12th Century by a Southern Song Dynasty Officer where he describes two types of slipper he saw in what is now Vietnam.  In the West, slippers were first recorded around 1478.
In the East, the slipper was a symbol of captivity.  A Sultan’s harem would wear them for indoors making it easy to slip the shoes on and off before stepping on expensive Persian carpets.  The slippers were very soft and comfortable and for indoors use, therefore, a concubine wouldn’t have been able to make a break for freedom in them as they were too thin and slippery for the hard rocky roads outside.
And there you have it. Slippers really were meant to be "slippery!" Thank goodness they now come in "non-slip" varieties. 
Believe me, if I ever found myself in a situation where I was trying to get away, slipping in my slippers would be the least of my problems!!
As for my Mother's Day slippers, they came just in time.
This pair is definitely ready to go!! Thanks, Steph!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.