Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What I Buy Wednesdays

This is going to be a long one, so you might want to get your coffee or tea and settle in.
🎶Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...🎶🎶*

It all started Monday when I put a chuck roast in the crock pot for dinner for my book club. When I got home in the afternoon, the house smelled like burnt meat. I thought, "ohnomymealisruined; howcanyouburnsomethinginthecrockpot?; I'llhavetogotoCorky'sandpickupbarbecue!" All that crossed my mind in about 3 seconds. I checked the meat, it was fine. It wasn't until after book club when I was cleaning up that I discovered this:
When I lifted out the crock, there was a liquidy, burned on mess in the part of the crockpot that cannot be immersed in water---the part that NEVER comes in contact with the food. This must be what I smelled burning. I don't even know how this is possible. For one thing, I use a crock pot liner---so all you do is throw away the bag and there's no clean up. So where did this come from? I thought it meant there might be a crack in the crock (say that quickly 5 times). But, again, I used a liner, so nothing could leak out. I should have used this for Monday Mystery since that's what it is. I told Butch that I was throwing the whole thing away.

That brings me to yesterday morning. I got up at 4:30 a.m. because I like getting up early because, A. I love the early morning hours because, B. I like the dark and quiet because, C. sleeping is a waste of time because, D. I like getting up early because, E. I get more hours out of my day that way and because, F. I can.

I decided I was going to Target to get a new crock pot. I told Butch of my plan and asked if he'd spent the $15.00 in rewards we've accumulated. He said "no" but that I should check to see if the crocks were on sale. Well, I told him that crock pots are cheap. Still, I checked the Target website to find that, yes, indeed the crock pots were on sale. The same one I already had is normally $19.99 on sale for $17.99.

I finished my morning routine and headed out the door around 8:15. One of the things I love about Target is that they open at 8 a.m.

Now, you've heard me say before that Target is deadly for me. And it is. I try really hard to resist.

Anyway, I started browsing around. That's my mistake. I need to wear blinders and just go for what I come for. As I was shopping, my lips felt a little dry. I smacked them together and realized I hadn't put on any lipstick. My mind went back to getting ready and remembered being interrupted with a phone call. That's when I realized, I hadn't put any makeup on AT ALL! Sheesh. I think I'm really starting to lose it (although I don't want to jinx myself).

When I was finished shopping, I checked out and followed the instructions on the key pad. I removed my card when the reader said to. The cashier continued with my check out. When she was finished, she took the sheet that had my rewards and said, "hurry up and put your card back in. Oooops, too late, it's already gone through. You took your card out too soon!" I quickly (and irritatedly) responded, "I was following the instructions on the key pad!" To which she replied, "well, I'm sorry, you'll have to go to customer service."

OMGosh! That did not make me happy. I started over to customer service, but the line was backed up all the way to the door. I thought, "what the heck? It's not even Christmas yet. Did all these people change their minds from Black Friday and now have tons of returns?" I decided that I wasn't going to wait in that line. I went over to Starbucks instead---it's inside the store. By the time I got my tea, the line was down to just one person. I went ahead and went over. The gal did not know how to handle my situation. She called a supervisor. The supervisor apologized all over the place. When she finished, she handed my paper that had my credit on it. She said, "I'm so sorry this happened. I made a mistake and there is still $8.67 on this. Just enjoy it on your next visit." My thought was, "hmmm, okay, it was worth it."

Oh and the reason it was so busy at customer service? Cyber Monday. Apparently, you order your stuff online and then just pick it up in the store. That accounts for this:
I thought these were all returns. They lined the other side on the left too. They were the pick ups. OMGosh, I wonder how many people they had putting the orders together on Monday. What I don't understand is why people would bother to pick up when Target offers free shipping. You can have everything delivered right to your door!
 So this is what I went for.
This is what I came home with! And this is nothing compared to what I resisted! And those slippers--who could resist? They look so cuddly and warm (which they are. I have them on as I type this. Butch noticed them right away and said, "so, you went to Target!" He knows me so well).
 And the slippers came with a bonus.
 I cut off the hanger part.
And voila'---a free chip clip! Gotta love that!

On a disappointing note: apparently, the supervisor didn't know what she was doing after all. I just checked my Visa and I did not get my credit at all. Now I'll have to go back and "fight" with them---if I can even get anybody to understand what happened. With Target you never know.

As it stands right now, I went in just for the crock pot which would have been $18 and some change---minus my $15.00 credit. I should have only spent $3.00 and some change. Instead, I spent a little over $80.00 and instead of getting any sort of credit, I lost $6.33 of the credit I had with nothing to show for it! No telling what it would have been had I not resisted! At least many of the things I bought are Christmas gifts.

🎶So join us here each week my friend, you're sure to get a smile...🎶*

*Bragging rights if you can name the song!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.