Monday, November 5, 2018

Monday Mystery

This glass is a mystery to me. 
Let me explain.

The girls in our family are theater geeks. The guys---not so much. They enjoy an occasional production, but are not fanatical like we are.

A couple weeks ago, Mindy and I went to see the updated version of Phantom of the Opera. We started with dinner at Jeff Ruby's---a premier steakhouse.
I was impressed with the napkin--I don't recall seeing this particular fold before. I'm easily impressed! After a nice dinner---where the waitress "comped" our wine because she said we had to wait too long (we didn't think so, but were happy to take the "comp")---Mindy went to the car to drop off the leftovers while I paid the bill. I met her a block away at the theater.
 I really didn't know what to expect when it came to a "Spectacular New Production" of Phantom.
The curtain was cool, but then, I couldn't remember what the other curtains looked like anyway. I think I've seen Phantom about 6 times. (I guess I could have cropped that bald head out of the picture---oh well.)

The show was pretty much the same with different sets and costumes. Of course, they wouldn't dare to mess with the music. They added pyrotechnics too. At the end of the first act, the chandelier falls. We had fabulous 5th row, center seats. All of a sudden, when the chandelier fell, we were showered with broken glass. I had a big hunk hit me in the head. I was freaking out! Then the lights came up and people were standing and shaking the glass out of their hair. I thought, "Oh, My Gosh! People are hurt!" I started to text Butch (he's on the board of our Tennessee Performing Arts) to tell him there was a major malfunction with the chandelier. Then, the lady sitting next to me said, "look, it's fake!"
This was the piece that I think hit me. The sound effects were awesome---it really sounded like the tinkling of the chandelier crystals and then the breaking glass. I was definitely fooled. Now you might think this is actually plastic. It's not. It's a rubbery substance.
Look closely and you can see that little piece. That rubbery substance actually breaks off like plastic. It's hard to explain that it could be rubbery yet rigid when you go to break it. It's almost like it changes in your hand. A definite mystery to me! I still don't understand it. Like magic somehow.

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed the show. We both liked the "masquerade" scene---the choreography and costumes were awesome. But also agreed that we liked the original version better. That version had the cast filling a staircase. It was amazing to me that they could do such intricate choreography on stairs without falling or bumping in to each other---still one of my favorite scenes of all musicals.

I guess they decided to make the show a little more interesting to appeal to the "young" people who are used to such special effects. We could feel the heat from the flares and and fires---it must have been hot for the actors. At first I thought it was a little too over the top, but still enjoyed it.

We loved it and would go again and again and again. Oh wait, we already do!

Speaking of theater, Mindy came up with the idea to celebrate Wicked's 15th anniversary. She decided that we needed to have a "green" dinner and then watch the special with Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel together. So, we did. Mindy and Justin, Stephanie and Nicky, Butch and I and Morgan were all here. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures except for this one of the leftovers.
We had a Caesar salad, Tuscan chicken with pesto fettuccine, authentic Italian bread from Bommaritos Bakery in St. Louis (it was the last loaf I had in the freezer) and key lime cheesecakes that Mindy brought. She had added green food coloring to really make them green. Actually, it came out over dinner that Justin made them and Mindy was taking the credit! He didn't say a word---she "outed" herself! I think I've mentioned before that all of our son-in-laws are cooks!

After dinner, the guys watched Monday Night Football upstairs on the big screen while we girls watched the special. We really enjoyed it and thought it was nice that Idina and Kristin shared the stage with other Elphabas and Glindas. But we would have been just as happy if it had only been them. We've been to both of their concerts (Idina twice with the girls and once in St. Louis with my sister-in-law) and even went to New York for Idina's debut in If/Then. Not the greatest show, but she was/is spectacular!

It was a fun evening. You just never know what these girls will come up with. Every time I turn around, they have another idea!

I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. That must have been quite a shocking end to that act! What great stage effects though - I'm sure the actors can't wait to see what the audience reaction is going to be!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.