Thursday, November 22, 2018

This and That Thursday

Let me start with---"Happy Thanksgiving"! We are in Charlotte celebrating with Sandy and family. I've written this post before leaving home.

So yesterday, I talked about hanging sweaters. Well, today, here's a tip for the best mashed potatoes from that same website---One Good Thing. I realize now that it would have been helpful to post this BEFORE Thanksgiving. It's probably a little too late, but you can remember it for next year. The article is titled "This is the Mistake Everyone Makes with their Mashed Potatoes." There are lots of good tips there. I'll be trying a few of them for sure.

I probably should have just titled this post "needlepoint." I hope you are not sick of hearing about it, because needlepoint is pretty important to me! And, it's the ONE thing that my kids and grandkids want (remember, I keep saying "our kids don't want our stuff!"). In fact, my grands are not the only ones who want my needlepoint. Morgan told me that her ex-boyfriend always thought my needlepoint was so cool. I found out (and am a little heartsick about it) that when they broke up, he took this:
I made this last year and put it in the family game. Jordan actually got it, but Carter like it so much, she gave it to him. I'm just glad that he appreciates it---as I really liked him. Still, in the future, I'd prefer to keep it in the family!

This month, Nashville Needleworks has their big annual sale. I saw a canvas that I really, really, wanted. I didn't buy it because, as you might remember, I just ordered this one:
I'm very excited about it. I'm pretty disciplined with my needlework, as years ago, I told Connie---"we have to stop buying stuff because before we can even get to it, other, cuter stuff comes out." I've been trying to stick to that, preferring to finish things as I go along.
But this! I've had a love affair with Halloween canvases for a few years now. This bookshelf is so darn cute! Still, even with the sale, I resisted. They also had a Christmas shelf that was adorable too. I resisted it all, knowing I had that pumpkin topiary coming. Plus, I need to finish my Santa 3d piece and then an Easter train. This Halloween piece haunted me. I wanted it soooo bad! While I was at the beach with Butch, I had brought my Santa to work on. I was cleaning out my needlepoint bag and "found" a gift certificate for $150 from my friends that I had completely forgotten about. After jumping up and down---okay, I don't really jump these days---I was going to call the store to make sure no one else would buy it before I could get there. Instead, I calmed down and did not call. I told myself that if I was meant to have it, it would be there when I could get to the store. That's really hard for me because I'm always afraid I'm going to miss out on something. I'm trying really hard to NOT be so impulsive. Anyway, this past Friday, I went by the shop and it was there. It was a sign! I bought it! I'm really excited about it and can't wait to get started, but it's going to be awhile! I've GOT to finish my other stuff before. I can start it. 

On that same day, I picked up this guy. He took me nearly a year to stitch because I just didn't enjoy stitching it. To start with, I thought it would go really fast since it was a larger count canvas, but the fibers I could use were limited. I'm just glad I finished it in time for someone for Christmas!

 I love that little tiny ball fringe!
This could very well be next on my list---we'll see. It's stunning. I love the non-traditional Christmas colors. I think it might be a class. If so, I'll seriously consider it---IF I'm about caught up on everything else I have ahead. 

I can control myself!

Happy Thanksgiving!



1 comment:

  1. These are works of art - I'm not surprised you have trouble resisting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.