Saturday, November 17, 2018

Showtunes Saturday

Don't you just love it when two worlds collide?

You know my love of all things musical theater. Well, let me set the stage (get it---a little theater joke!).

About two years ago, I asked, urged---who am I kidding---begged, Connie to give duplicate bridge a try. She kicked and screamed like a little baby---losing sleep, saying she was way too intimidated, it was too hard, she didn't know the rules, etc. I hit her with, "But you have such good card sense" (she does)! "Okay, if you just try it and don't like it, I promise I'll never bring it up again!" I'm not sure she really believed me, but she agreed and then added this caveat: "If anyone calls the director on me, I quit!" I couldn't convince her that calling the director is not the embarrassing thing she thinks it is. We all make mistakes and sometimes they are real bloopers (like doubling your parther---okay that was about 20 years ago, but I did it!) The director is there to be the referee--so to speak. Little did she know, I had the man for her!

Richland was starting a new duplicate group. Jerry was to be the director. I have crossed paths with him on several occasions here and there. He is the nicest! He has so much patience. Granted, there are many directors that can be a little terse now and then, but not Jerry. He's laid back. He doesn't rush the game and he's just plain the nicest guy! I knew he and Connie would be a perfect fit. 

So here we are two years later, enjoying our once a month bridge day. Two months ago, Jerry surprised us all by giving us a little pre-bridge concert. Now, I was not new to his beautiful piano playing as I'd heard him play at other bridge games. But what I really appreciate the most is that he has gone out of his way (well, I guess not too far) to play showtunes. I like to think he plays them just for me, but that would be a little egotistical. However, I doubt anyone there loves them as much as I do! 

This past Tuesday, after listening a bit, he started playing Music of the Night---in the daytime. I got up to get my phone so I could record it to send to the girls---they all love musical theater too! I just couldn't leave the room! His playing was so beautiful. I told him afterwards that I had wanted to tape him, but just couldn't leave to retrieve my phone. So, he sent me this recording. Enjoy!
Music of the Night
 I snapped these photos the first time he played. He plays so effortlessly.
I forgot to mention, he's self-taught! One question---where is the tip jar?

I can't think of anything better---showtunes and bridge. Now that's a winning hand!

1 comment:

  1. That was so amazing. I Just listened to it all the way through! I’m very impressed with his piano-playing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.