Sunday, January 6, 2019

SomeThing for Sunday

On the day after Christmas, I flew to St. Louis. Unfortunately, even though it's my favorite way to go, it's probably my last trip this way. Everybody lives too far from the airport and I like to travel early. Plus since my sister moved to Timbuktu, it's nearly impossible to get around without a car of my own. I'll just have to drive myself. That will definitely limit the number of trips I'm willing to make. 3-4 hours is my ideal road trip. Any more than that and it's just too long for me.

My cousin, Chrissy picked me up from the airport. We met my sisters, Jeanne, Janet, Jennifer, Sharon and niece, Scarlet at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I stayed with Janet, so went home with her.

I had several goals for this trip. Number one was spending time with my Aunt Marie. She's one of the  main reasons I try to get there frequently. She's getting older and frailer. I called in advance and left a message that I was going to be there around 9 on Thursday morning. When I arrived, she was still in her pajamas. I asked her if she was sick. She said, "Why, do I look sick?" No, but I've never known her to not be dressed, with makeup and jewelry when I arrived. She said they didn't know I was coming. Uncle Tony said he hadn't checked the phone messages. Luckily they were available! 

Then it was off to lunch with my sister-in-law Chris. We went to a Mexican restaurant at Plaza Frontenac--delicious table side guac--the homemade sangria--not so good. I spent the rest of the afternoon with Chrissy. I always love that. Just the two of us with lots of time to be together and gab. It's never enough!

I was very excited to be meeting up with some grade school friends I haven't seen in nearly 50 years! I'm the one that got it together. Since re-connecting with many via Facebook, I was excited to see them. My family thought I was crazy. But, as Jeanne says, I'm the friendly one! Actually, I just love people and new experiences. Apparently, they felt the same because as it turned out, there were 4 available to meet me. Another had to cancel at the last minute due to illness and still a couple more had other plans. 

We met at Mimi's Cafe in the Valley at 5:30. I asked for a table a little off to itself if possible. They have us this big booth which was perfect. We ended up staying 4 HOURS!!! Lest you think we were "hogging" a table, I was cognizant of that. I guess a Thursday evening after Christmas is not a busy time. The restaurant had empty tables all evening, so we didn't have to leave.
Not the greatest picture. From left--Marty, Linda (in front), Carla, Chris and me. We had sooooo much fun remembering old and good times. We talked about our own lives in a nutshell. We have planned to do it again. Of course, I'm the one that has vowed to get us together when I'm in town. Reenie, who couldn't be there suggested one of the kazillion wineries in the area. That will work perfect!

On Friday, we had a surprise 60th birthday party for our sister-in-law Sharon. 
 Sharon is not in this picture as we took it before she arrived. From the back, Jeanne, Janet, me, cousins Judy and Chrissy.
That's the birthday girl on the left, Sharon. Janet, Aunt Marie, me, Jeanne and Jennifer. 

Saturday was pretty low key. Janet and I went to Evie's soccer game. Then we took her and Josie to see Mary Poppins. After the movie, we stopped off and got Greg and Jackie for dinner at Bartolinos. I ALWAYS do Italian at least once when I'm in St. Louis. There's nothing like St. Louis Italian salads!

It was a jam packed 3 days. I always make the most of my trips. We missed Janice and Joyce. But not for long! Our sister's cruise will be here before we know it!


2 comments:

  1. How great that you organised that reunion - I bet the time flew by! You certainly packed a lot into your short trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that does sound like a packed trip with lots of FUN, friends & family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.