Monday, January 7, 2019

Monday Memos and Me

We are on our way back from Santa Rosa Beach. We couldn't have asked for more gorgeous weather. I spent all of my time reading, stitching, putting together the itinerary for our London trip in June, blogging, catching up on blog reading and playing my computer games. I rarely have so much time to do absolutely nothing and everything I want to do! It's heaven and I never get bored! No matter how much time I have, it never seems like enough! This is a great time to come to the beach--not too busy and not too hot! It's just right.
Other than spending time on the porch (and enjoying this view), I only went out 3 times---to get my nails done and  for two dinners. We always enjoy The Perfect Pig which is right here at the resort. They have half price entrees--Monday through Thursday. Unfortunately, we didn't time that right! We had a gift card, so it was still "free!"
We ordered this appetizer. We were told it was shrimp ravioli. When it arrived, it was loaded with lobster! Actually, I sort of panicked that we had somehow ordered the wrong thing. This HAD to be expensive! Nope, this was the featured appetizer--our server just forgot to mention the lobster. It was divine! And ONLY $12.00!! We couldn't believe it. We shared the curried cauliflower soup (delicious), a shrimp and spinach salad (which we ended up not needing) and the crawfish pie. It was all so good.

On Saturday night, we used another gift card to Louis Louis---a place we had never been to before---we tend to stay right around here---even though this place is only 10 minutes away. We will definitely be back!! It was delicious and had such huge portions. The restaurant itself had a French flair with Chrystal chandeliers over each table. The matre di (who I suspect was the owner) was French. But the food was not really. I'd say it was eclectic with a little of everything. The menu was a chalkboard with about 5 entree choices. Still, it was enough.
The lighting wasn't so good for this photo. We started with the smoked tuna dip. We ended up bringing half of it home. I had some of it for lunch yesterday. I got the shrimp and crawfish pasta. Butch got the blackened grouper with spinach and a grit cake. Both dishes were so good. We brought plenty of leftovers home. That was dinner last night!
We ordered the bread pudding for dessert. You cannot tell from this picture how huge it was. We brought some of that home too. People complain about the prices at the beach, but we find them to be very reasonable--at least compared to Nashville prices. And we can't get enough of the fresh seafood!

When we come to the beach, Butch always has lots of work to do. Some of it is my fault because I am so fanatical about everything being so clean. That lead to our November trip to Emerald Beach in Panama City. We were there for a homeowners meeting. When we arrived---it had been spring since we were last there---I was appalled at the state of the carpet. I threw a little baby, hissy fit (meaning I acted like a baby). Butch agreed that we could replace the carpet which---even though professionally cleaned each year---would not stay clean.

We decided to go with hardwood/laminate flooring like we put in at Santa Rosa. I handled everything.  To make a long story short, despite 19 of 21---5 star ratings, we had a terrible experience. Turns out, the installer (or someone working with him) moved in made a mess of the place, leaving trash behind, breaking in to the owners cabinet and doing some other damage and stealing much stuff. The company we used said they were not responsible for the installers---that's a separate deal. I get it, but still, when you are at the mercy of relying on these businesses to get work done, you have to assume they have reputable people. You can bet I left them a scathing review. It wasn't worth the hassle to file a police report (although I threatened that). Luckily for us, we have a great handyman there who could take care of everything.

That leads to our place at Santa Rosa. Our "new" furniture is almost two years old now. There were several spots that I was---there's no other word to use---"wigging out" about. Butch went the very next day and bought some upholstery cleaner and spot remover. I was so happy at how well it seemed to work.

Several hours later, I was concerned that the cushions---and he had done them ALL---were not drying. Could it be that we just made matters worse? I suggested using a blow dryer to dry them faster. That worked. And then this happened!
Me and my bright ideas! Yes, the spots are gone, but now we have a burn mark on one of the cushions. I swear, I just can't have anything nice!!

Butch was able to play several rounds of golf, ride his bike and do some geo-caching. It was a nice relaxing trip. And we got to end with this.
Sunsets at the beach are picture postcards! For sure!

Now it's back to reality. I'm dreading that treadmill!

2 comments:

  1. You must have been so cross with the experience of the flooring installer - and crazy that the company can wash their hands of it because it was not them that did it. If they sub contracted the job out, they must share some of the responsibility surely?
    Pleased to hear that you trip was relaxing overall, good food, good company, good location, what more can you ask for? (Good luck with that treadmill!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your life always sounds so exciting, happy new year x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.