Wednesday, June 28, 2023

What I Buy Wednesday

Okay, this is a first. I don't think I've ever done a post about buying produce. Of course, I buy it every week. It's not exciting so there has never really been a reason to mention it until now. 

Did you know that you can buy a half head of cabbage? Here's the story:

Yesterday, I was at Publix. I needed some cabbage for my grandpa's soup called, what else, "Grandpa's Soup." It's the only thing he cooked. And it is delish!
This is the only picture I have of Grandpa and Grandma Preli--together. I just got it recently and already don't remember how I got it or who gave it to me. Grandpa's soup is sort of like minestrone but better!

Anyway, when I went to get the cabbage, there were 3 heads--the size of bowling balls. My thought was, "Holy cow! What the heck am I going to do with all that cabbage?" I said out loud, "Wow, that's a big head of cabbage." 

The produce man heard me. I love Publix because ALL the employees are so nice. Sometimes annoyingly so. Like if I ask where something is, they drop what they are doing to walk me to the aisle and shelf. Really, I don't need that kind of attention. I just need the aisle number. Most likely I can find it from there. 

When the produce man heard me, he said, "Would you like for me to cut it in half?" I said, "Really? I didn't even know you could do that." He did.
The head was so big that he couldn't cut it evenly in half. So he held up both pieces and asked which one I wanted. I chose the smaller one which is about a third of the whole. It's still more than I really need. I'll think of something else to do with the leftovers besides coleslaw. I do like it sautéed, so that's probably what I'll do.

Talking of the grocery store reminds me of something that happened last week. I was at Kroger. I used the self-checkout. As soon as I exited the store, the shopping cart wheels locked up. I was looking at them to see what I ran over. I couldn't budge it. The self-checkout attendant walked over with a hand-held device and "unlocked" the cart. What? I've never seen or heard of such a thing. Connie said it happened to her one time. I don't know if all grocery stores have this. 

I get that groceries have really gone up in price. I guess the next thing is going to be those electronic tags so if you try to exit the store with a loaf of bread, it will beep. That will be the day! Groceries are almost worth more than gold! That 1/3 head of cabbage was two bucks! And don't get me started about the cost of chicken!




1 comment:

  1. I think I have seen half a head of cabbage pre-packed in our supermarkets but it's not something I often buy! It would be interesting to compare your prices with ours - my weekly bill has gone up considerably in the last year. Our local supermarket introduced those locking trolley wheels a few years ago, apparently it was to stop people walking home with them or kids taking them off site to play around in. There's a magnetic strip somewhere on the exit path in the car park which makes the wheels lock. Crazy to have them lock as you are going out of the store though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.