Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...balance. 

It's a fact that when you get older, your balance isn't the greatest. The funny thing is you don't even notice it's happening until all of a sudden, the simplest things can throw you off. 

How many times have I stumbled in my life? Probably thousands. It was never really a problem. But now, a stumble--like uneven pavement, or a little hole in the grass, has me tumbling! I cannot right myself to prevent it. Even walking or standing, I can be a little off balance. 

I'm pretty sure it also has something to do with the fact that I had my "halluxes" (medical term for "big" toes) fused several years ago because of calcium build-up. They were so painful, that I couldn't walk AND, more importantly, I had to settle for ugly shoes. You know the ones that were comfortable but not stylish. I guess my words are coming back to haunt me. I remember telling the girls that you had to sacrifice comfort for style!

Anyway, when I was getting ready to have my surgery, no one mentioned that my balance would be impaired once my halluxes became "hallux rigidus" (medical term for when the big toe possesses no motion). It wasn't until talking to my friend, Susan (she's my nurse friend, but also my personal medical expert) that she said--not being able to move your big toe would definitely affect your balance. 

A few other things I can no longer do:
I cannot skip anymore. That could have more to do with my inability to jump rather than balance. My jumping days are definitely over. Well, unless someone threw a snake on me. I'm pretty sure jumping would be more of a reflex--which, of course, would cause me to fall down. 

I cannot pass a sobriety test. You know, putting one foot in front of the other in a straight line. That's definitely balance.

I cannot put my underwear on without holding on to something or sitting down.

I cannot pull my pants up in a single motion. Especially after taking a shower. Forget it. Even doing the "pants dance" is nearly impossible. Ladies, surely you know what I mean! How they stick to your legs all the way up!!

Anyway, I've heard that yoga is good for balance. My problem with that is the times they offer it at the Y---are too late for me. I cannot start my day that late! I need something very early in the morning--like 7 a.m. at the latest. Then I can go home, shower and be ready for the day by 9 a.m. The earliest classes I've seen are more like 10 a.m. Much too late for this early bird.

So what's a girl to do? The only thing I can think of is to keep walking and pounding that pavement so my bones stay strong. That way, when the inevitable fall happens, I don't break anything. Fingers crossed. Not sure that helps. I guess I better go knock on wood! 




1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about pilates? That incorporates a lot of balance too. I think you are right in thinking that the important thing is to keep moving as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.