Monday, June 5, 2023

Me on Monday

Just got back from NYC. We had a great time and certainly crammed as much as we could into the 3 1/2 days we had. We managed to squeeze in 3 shows--which is the main purpose of any trip to New York. 

On Saturday, Mindy and I went to the Broadway Museum while the other girls went to Greenwich Village. The museum has only been open for a few months. There are so many interesting exhibits. Did you know that there are 41 theaters? I'm adding a visit to each one to my bucket list! I'll start with the three we visited this week. I'll have to go back through my playbills---yes, I have them dating back to my first visit to New York in the early 80's!!
Mindy gave me a copy of the book on Sunday of Memorial weekend. I was determined to have it read by Wednesday when we were seeing the play by the same name. It was soooo good! Now I'll be saying that about each one of the shows we saw. This one was particularly interesting because I have rated Rent in my top five favorite shows of all time. That has a lot to do with the backstory of the show. Jonathan Larson, the creator--story, music, and lyrics--died the night before it was to debut. He was young--just 35. It was an aneurysm that two hospitals missed. Anyway, it went on to be a blockbuster and launched the careers of several of the stars: Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Idina Menzel, and Taye Diggs. They owe their careers to Rent.


We were very happy to be seeing Bad Cinderella on its closing weekend. Today starts the first time in 58 years that Andrew Lloyd Webber will not have a show on Broadway. Honestly, we don't understand it. We all loved it so much. We loved everything about it. First-row seats didn't hurt either!! 

Ironically for me, I got to see both of his shows before they closed this year---remember Phantom of the Opera--when I was there with my sisters in January. I'm so glad I did. Sir ALW will always be the master to me! I'm excited to see Aspects of Love in September when I am in London with my book club. This is one I have never seen before.

We picked MJ because we wanted to make sure that if Bad Cinderella was really "bad," then we'd end with a definite winner--especially for my grands. This was their first trip to Broadway. MJ never disappoints. This was my third time seeing it. I think that's enough. But if someone wants to go and invites me, I'll definitely see it again. 

Funny story (or maybe not really funny) from MJ: at intermission, a woman behind Stephanie and Mindy tapped Stephanie on the shoulder. Mindy had gone to the concession stand. The woman made the comment that they were really tall. She said that she thought Mindy was 6 feet! Well, Mindy is definitely taller than Sandy, Steph, and me--we're about 5'3"--but she's about 5'6"--nowhere close to 6'. 

Anyway to make a long story short, she asked if Mindy could lean towards Steph so she had a better view of the stage! What?? OMGosh, we all thought that was pretty rude. Steph decided not to say anything to Mindy, so the woman tapped Mindy on the shoulder with her request. Mindy said that by the time it was over she had a crick in her neck and felt bad laying all over her sister! 

Believe me, I do understand it---I ALWAYS have someone taller sitting in front of me! But, on the other side, tall people have a right to see the show too! My grandson, Mitchell is 6'4"--and feels bad all the time for anyone sitting behind him. But what is he supposed to do? 

It's actually made me realize that I need to have a little more patience and compassion as my view is blocked by someone taller than me almost all the time! It doesn't take much!

Well, Broadway....until next time...









1 comment:

  1. As a 'shortie' myself I always wonder what the person sitting in front of me will be like but I don't think I would consider 5' 6" excessively tall! Hopefully I never get behind Mitchell ;-)
    There was a really interesting programme on TV recently tracing Andrew Lloyd Webber's ancestry. If you can find it on your streaming services I would recommend it. It's called Who Do You Think You Are? and is on BBC. They do a different celebrity every week and ALW was very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.