Sunday, December 18, 2022

Something for Sunday

I enjoy autobiographies, but don't tend to read that many. But this year, I've read 10! Most were really good. I rate my books 1 to 5 stars. 

1.*****Viola Davis (Finding Me)---OMGosh! I've always loved her, but I had no idea. This book is the best of the bunch!


2.****Hayley Mills (Forever Young)---I loved her as a kid and enjoyed her child star experiences. Sandy recommended this book. She had a pretty crazy childhood. It's a shame that she came out of it with almost nothing.


3.*****Anderson Cooper (Vanderbilt: the Rise and Fall of an American Dynasty)---I read Once Upon a Time by his mother, Gloria Vanderbilt years ago. It was really good too. Getting Anderson's take on growing up in that famous family was pretty interesting and surprising in many ways.


4.****James Patterson (James Patterson by James Patterson)--this book was written as many stories throughout his life and career.


5.****Kelly Ripa (Live Wire)--very funny and "tongue in cheek" just like her. I like her because she's "real." You feel like you could just sit down with her and hit it off.


6.*****Rob Lowe (The Stories I Only Tell My Friends)--Another eye-opener. I've always loved Rob Lowe but knew nothing of his history other than he was part of the "brat pack." This boy went after it from a very young age! I was so impressed--he's so smart--not just a "pretty boy"--but there's that too! 


7.***Selma Blair (Mean Baby)--I didn't really know her at all. I had never even heard of her. But, I saw her on a talk show and thought her story sounded interesting. It was, but I wasn't over thrilled with it. Probably because I have no point of reference with her. I was intrigued as to why her nickname was "mean baby"--kinda sad to put that label on a baby! 


8.*****Adam Brown (Fearless—Seal Team)--This book was amazing. I didn't really know anything about the Seal Team and what they go through. But, this guy is/was incredible. I loved everything about this story.


9.*****Marjorie Merriweather Post (American Empress: the Life and Times of Majorie Merriweather Post)--I picked this book because I love books set in a bygone era. I loved all the glitz and glamour. She was a remarkable lady and so generous too.


10.****Jennifer Gray (Out of the Corner)--We've heard it all before--how she and Patrick Swayze didn't like each other in Dirty Dancing. She doesn't dwell on it and seems pretty fair in her assessment without trashing Patrick. I found it interesting--the story of growing up in a showbiz family. Her parents were so devoted to each other for so many years---until---they weren't. She's very candid about her plastic surgery too.


If you could only pick two off of this list to read--make it Viola Davis and Rob Lowe. You won't regret it!


I would love to know which autobiographies/biographies you've read and would recommend. 



1 comment:

  1. Well great minds think alike - I have read the Rob Lowe one, and have his second book on my shelf to be read. I recently added the Viola Davis book to my hold list at the public library. Glad to hear you would recommend it. I still have an Angela Lansbury biography to read as well, but I don't recall if she wrote it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.