Saturday, December 17, 2022

Scrapbook Saturday

One thing I know about myself---I need to get up in my scrapbook room at least once a week. It soothes me and is so great for my mental health. To sit with my photos and think about my family, friends, and stories---it's just so calming for me. I was able to do that for a little while on Friday morning. I cleaned up my work table and put a few pages into albums. But then, a problem. I seemed to have misplaced the end page for my AYM album--The Songs of our Life. I cannot imagine where it could be. I have all of my layouts in a single stack. It's a big stack, no doubt. But all in one place. I could not find it. My room is in perfect order, so I have no idea what has happened to it. I have a little time since I'll be doing the final layout this month for that album. I sure hope it turns up. 

As for now, I only have a couple pags that I haven't shared yet.
This was my AYM layout for December. Susan picked the song: "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I asked the girls and the grands what they learned from us. The comments were pretty interesting--which I used for my journaling. Here it is--which is tucked in to the pocket:

I like to think that we taught our children (and grandchildren) well. With that in mind, I decided to ask them. I was surprised at a few things and not, by others. Here’s what they learned from us:


Sandy responded, “A few things among the many…

Dad taught me how to shoot marbles, mow the grass, that taking a shower when you’re sick always makes you feel better🤷🏼‍♀️, and what the peloton is in the Tour de France 😂


Mom taught me how to French braid, make homemade bows for presents, “kill ‘em with kindness” when dealing with unpleasant people, and that if you use a foghorn to call your kids in for dinner they come running very fast🤣

Love you guys!💙❤️


Mitchell replied, “Grammy, you taught me how to make friends at a party where I don’t know anyone! Grandpa taught me how to turn negatives into positives at work!”


Grammy taught me how to make friends at a party where I don’t know anyone!


Grandpa taught me how to turn negatives into positives at work!


Victoria says, “Trying not to say what everyone else said! Grammy taught me what it means to be a good hostess.And Grandpa taught me how to shoot pool water at people by squeezing your hand. Love y'all!! “


Elizabeth said, “I love y’all! You have taught me the most crucial things. 

Grandpa—don’t take crap from anyone. When someone won’t let you in Disney World, you walk right in! 


Grammy- you can make friends anywhere. You taught me how to strike up conversations with anyone under any circumstance. I respect your advice because it’s evident that you have more friends than me lol.!


Stephanie says, “These are all so good-& definitely lessons I learned, too!


You both taught me to drive a stick and to keep asking for what you want until the person says no. 


Dad also taught me how to check my tire pressure, use the pool chairs, and to “throttle back” 😂 


Mom taught me to stitch, that if you l”ay with dogs you’ll get up with fleas”, and to be “up” for anything because it always makes memories. 


The list is obviously longer, but we’ll leave it there. Love you two!! 😘


Jordan responds, “For grandpa, he taught me how to ski. Another good one is the art of negotiation/bargaining, which happened as recently as Africa. 


Grammy taught me the art of conversation. I'll never forget grammy’s advice that "everyone likes to talk about themselves, so just ask them questions." Another good one is to approach the person on the periphery of an event who isn't talking to anyone else.


What a cute and fun idea for a scrapbook page!


Morgan replied, “Grandpa also taught me how to ski .⛷️ Grammy taught me how to throw a party! 🎉


Mindy came up with, “Dad taught me:

-how to fish (mainly for logs and the back of his shirt)

-about all sports (including the politics behind them) including everything from football to Indy car racing

-how to use my new luggage (as a full grown adult. Not to mention that I didn’t know there was a ‘wrong way’ to use luggage)

-that when something says “buy one get one free” you don’t actually have to get two items— you can just get one and it will still be half price

-that the store brand of an item has the exact same ingredients as the name brand (supposedly)


Mom taught me:

-how to be witty/have a sense of humor at all times

-how to stitch (and do crafts in general!)

-how to organize (don’t take everything out of a drawer or closet all at once and then try to sort through—instead take one item out at a time and decide right then to keep, trash, move, or donate. But just because she taught me how doesn’t always mean I actually do it 😉)

-how to “deflect” when dad (or anyone in the family) is getting on you about something (or maybe I taught you that? Either way, we’re both pretty good at it!)

-never quit something once you’ve started-you have to see it through until the end of your commitment (for example if you start a sports team or club that you don’t like, or volunteer for something)

-all about musical theatre

-how to navigate difficult female friendships


Both:

-How to play a variety of games— namely poker (but also including yard games, board games, etc.)

-Importance of giving back to others (donating blood, money, etc.)


Although I’m grateful for the lessons they did learn from us, I’m surprised that the one I thought I really imparted was: “You get to decide how you are going to be treated!” I drilled this into ALL my girls and little ones too. It’s a great life lesson for relationships whether it’s boyfriends or anyone else in your life!! It’s so true!


This is just a close-up of how I made a little grid with the ribbons and used a couple punches for fun.

I'm trying to keep up with Morgan's album as the year goes on. This layout is about their engagement photo shoot.
There were so many pictures and clothing changes that I had to do a "waterfall" technique to include the most pictures. There are about 18 on the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.