Monday, December 26, 2022

Me on Monday

A couple weeks ago, I had a bone density test. The last one I had was December, 2017. 

Anyway, I got the results back. There's a lot I didn't understand--numbers and stuff. My bone mineral density was 0.858 in 2017 and is 0.861 in 2022. I have no idea what that means. Good or bad, it doesn't look like it changed much.

But, I did understand this:
Estimated 10 year risk of significant bone fracture: 14%
Estimated 10 year risk of hip fracture: 1.5%

Those numbers seem pretty reassuring. It seems like I have a pretty low risk. I'll ask my doctor in February when I have my physical to clarify.

In the meantime, it was recommended that I take calcium and D3 every day. 

I quit all that about a year ago after reading and hearing podcasts about all the supplements being a bunch of bunk--and just adding  the billions of dollars that industry makes. I asked my doctor and she believes in it. Sooo, I'm going to start up again. Plus I'll add my Centrum Silver vitamin too. 

I guess it can't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. Those percentages sound good to me too. My sister has osteoporosis and has had two bad breaks to her wrist so I think you are wise to get your bone density checked. I'm not one for taking supplements either, prefer to get my vitamins via my diet but I can understand that a calcium supplement is slightly different. I think you also need vitamin D to process calcium so that is why the two go together. Keep safe and well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.