Thursday, December 29, 2022

Five Things Thursday

As it turns out, you are never too old to learn new things. 

Here are five things I learned about our below-zero, frigid temperatures last week:
1. I learned about--"rolling outages." The electric company forewarned us via the news that they would be randomly turning off the electricity now and then. It was two days and only 15 minutes at a time. I have no idea how many times during the night it happened, but it happened 5 times over the course of 2 days during the day---really about 36 hours. Not sure how that helped, but it kept screwing up our clocks. And, our house got so cold immediately!! Remember, we have 4 sets of French doors across the front of the house and the entire back is just about all glass. EVERY threshold was iced over--not frost, ice! I already shared that picture. 

2. I learned that when the electricity is off, my nice, warm, heat floor throughout the master bath gets icy cold very quickly! When you are used to a heated floor, you tend to take it for granted---until---a single toe meets icy cold in the dead of night. It shocked me fully awake! There was no getting back to sleep after that! Once the electricity comes back, it takes a really long time to heat up again. I'm used to going in there during the winter months to warm my feet when they get cold. I know, 1st world problems. 

3. I learned that even though I keep my butter on the counter so that it's soft when I need it, it's as hard as a rock when it's that cold. Same with cream cheese--trying to leave it out to soften for a recipe didn't work. It never got soft. So then starts what I like to call the microwave dance--put it in, take it out, put it in, take it out...
not great at the time of year when I am doing so much cooking and baking.

4. I learned that when my closet door is open, there is a terrible draft. My closet is not heated--don't know why--maybe the builder forgot to run the heat in there. It's on two outside walls that are probably not insulated all that well either. While brushing my teeth, that draft is bone-chilling. I cannot just shut the door with my foot--like I tried. At nearly 71, the balance is just not there--even though I still feel like I'm 20. Luckily I grabbed onto the sink to keep myself from actually falling. That was an important lesson!

5. And finally, I learned that I need lots more wood for the fireplace!! I had it going just about non-stop--sometimes with only the gas flames! Whatever lets me get my heat on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.