Monday, July 4, 2022

Monday Mystery

This is a mystery to me for sure. 

There's just the two of us here. Butch and I. No one else lives here. And we don't have any animals. So why in the world would he think we need this:
It is the biggest, most ginormous bottle of ketchup I've ever seen. I didn't even know they made them this big. I can hardly lift it and I definitely need to use two hands! Cumbersome and awkward for sure. I put it next to the 32 oz. jar of mayonnaise so you could get an idea. It's humongous!
2 lbs. 6 oz. of ketchup. Holy smokes. That's a lot. A. Lot! Here's the funny part. We don't use ketchup. Yes, you read that right. We do not use ketchup! Okay, we use a little ketchup. Very little. Only for meatloaf--not even as a topping, but to dip it in and for meatloaf sandwiches--well for me. Butch uses mustard on his meatloaf sandwiches. 

So let's do the math. Let's assume we use 4 oz. of ketchup--and I think that's a stretch. 4 oz. is a half cup--for each meatloaf. I'm sure we don't use that much, but for the purposes of my example, I'm going with it. 

Now, you have to consider that I only make meatloaf about once every 2 or 3 months. I love it, but don't always think about making it. I seem to make it mostly in the winter. I guess the heating up of the oven in summer is why it doesn't come to mind. So now, let's just go with every 2 months. That's 6 meatloaves a year. Times 4 oz. of ketchup. Now we're at 24 oz. of ketchup a year. By this reasoning, this bottle will last us nearly two years. That's a lot of expensive refrigerator real estate if you ask me. Crazy. 

When I asked Butch what he was thinking, he said, "Well, I got Heinz!" What?? I replied, "Right brand, wrong size." I said that in order to use up all this ketchup, we're going to have to make all the kids use it on anything we serve here. Sort of like making them drink the dozens of abandoned drinks in our beverage center. Apparently nobody likes grapefruit flavored anything. 

I think I'll put a date on the bottle as to when he put it in the refrigerator. It will be interesting to see when it actually gets opened. I'll have to report back on that. I'm thinking meatloaf making season is several months off. 

Yep, a lot of prime real estate.

1 comment:

  1. He thought he'd done well by getting the right brand! That is a big bottle, I didn't know they made them that big - and I bet it says it should be eaten within 6 weeks of opening (that obviously isn't going to happen!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.