Saturday, July 2, 2022

Miracle Plants

So, I've posted about this before. But now, I'm realizing that it's an every-year occurrence!

I believe that I've even promised NOT to mention them again. But I just can't help it. These plants are miracles! Truly.

These plants---sago palms. They are tropical plants. I first saw them in New Orleans years ago and fell in love. Completely. They are magnificent. I knew that they were tropical and could not withstand our winters. So, that's why we always bring them inside--and when I say "we," I really mean Butch. He does all the heavy lifting! 

We put them in our sunroom. But, the sunroom--although heated, isn't all that warm. With windows all around, it's really cold in winter. So cold that I keep the doors closed. We do not go in there at all. Way too cold. As a result, the palms do not make it. By spring, they are either completely dead, or the fronds are yellow. Still, we--and by I mean we, I really mean--Butch moves them back outside. 
Mostly dead. We cut all of this away. And this is what happens next:
A miracle. Literally, a miracle. New fronds start. They grow so darn fast. It's amazing!
This is about a week! Really. Amazing! Crazy!
And then, the others that aren't completely dead still have new fronds in the middle. 

I absolutely love these plants. They are so beautiful. It's so nice to know that no matter what happens over the winter, they will rejuvenate all on their own. Cut away the dead and let them do their thing. They do not disappoint! By the end of summer, they look like this:
They are beautiful and healthy-looking. Then in the fall, we--and by "we" I mean Butch---carries them inside and we do it all over again!

If you want something amazing, you need to try sago palms. But let me warn you, those dead fronds are very sharp! Deadly! But so worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.