Wednesday, October 21, 2020

What I Buy Wednesday

So much! Where do I begin. Okay, this is just going to be some sneaks for our beach condo. 

Let me start by saying that I've always dreamed of picking out everything for a home from scratch--down to the smallest detail--like door hinges and electrical outlet "innards"! Basically, we're gutting the condo and I'm really excited for the challenge!

The only thing we're keeping are the floors. The main floor throughout is a travertine tile very similar to what we have in our sunroom at home. The only thing we're doing to that is having it professionally cleaned and sealed. We put hardwood "floating floors" in the bedrooms a few years ago. 

We're removing the popcorn ceiling and replacing doors. We're adding things and subtracting things. Now I know why I needed to learn math---all the adding and subtracting! And measuring---oh, the measuring! So much! But we've got this!

Anyway, the work will begin November 1st. Below are a few of the things we've already picked out.
This is the vanity for the main bathroom (white). This is not the faucet we've picked out. I might change the drawer pulls too. I haven't decided yet. These are just the ones that come with the vanity.
The vanity light fixture. I hope I don't regret the clear glass--in terms of keeping it clean.

We bought our new dining furniture in September. It will be delivered on November 10th.
This server is going to replace the current piece that holds books and DVDs. FYI, we inherited all of the furniture when we bought the place 8 years ago. It is not our style, but was fine for when we were renting it out. We're not doing that anymore, so that's why we decided to "fix it up."

Tile for the master bath. Small on the floor and an accent strip in the floor to ceiling tile in the shower.
I'm really excited about this glass tile for the hall bathroom. It was so hard to resist using a color. But I love white and, let's face it, white is way more practical. It's much easier to change a look with colored paint and accessories.
Kind of like my pool bath at home. I really wanted to just duplicate this for one of the bathrooms. Unfortunately, the plumbing situation would not allow for this vanity. I knew I wanted to use the arabesque tile but was thrilled to find it in glass this time.  Plus it will be on the wall rather than the floor.
This is the vanity for the master bath. It's sort of a whitewashed style. We have a different faucet. I'm not sure about the hardware yet. I'll decide that once it's installed.
This is just a hint of the colors we'll be using. I have had so much fun picking out paint colors too. Some of it is a little daunting when there are thousands of colors and shades to choose from. I was able to narrow it down pretty quickly. I sort of rely on my ability to "know it when I see it!"

hate the granite counter and wall tile that's in the condo currently. I do not like busy granite. And this tile--just no. It's rust colored to boot while the counters are an ugly multi brown situation. I am not a brown person. At. All. 
I cannot say that strongly enough. It's hideous  Add to that, the previous owner was a do-it-yourself-er. There's nothing wrong with that if you know what your are doing. He/she (don't want to make assumptions here) he or she had no idea what they were doing--in terms of picking out or installing! Really bad. 

So with all that hate going on, it's no surprise that this is what I'm most excited about!
Unfortunately, this picture does not do it justice. I tried, but just could not get a good one that truly shows the color. The top tile is going to be the kitchen backsplash. The countertop is below. There is a hint of light teal throughout (which you cannot really see). When Butch said he'd had enough of looking at tile and countertops, I spent a day going all over the place by myself. When I picked out this countertop, the lady let me "borrow" the sample for a day. When I found the tile, I knew it was perfect. I went out to the car and got the counter sample. Even the tile "lady" said it was perfect! Honestly, despite being from two completely different companies, they are almost a perfect match. The counter is quartz. I'm not sure what material the tile is. All I know is that it's pretty! I love it and it's the one! I can just picture it with the refaced cabinets and new appliances!

When I brought this home for Butch to see, he said, "yeah, that's the Cambria quartz we saw yesterday. I was wondering why you passed it up."  First, I was surprised he even knew the brand or noticed this quartz to begin with! I told him that I'd seen it, but passed it by because I was heartbroken. Heartbroken, I tell you! I had just seen EXACTLY what I wanted. (Remember, I "know it when I see it"). Well, what I had fallen completely head over heels for turned out to be marble! (That's a beef I have with the places I visited. They should have signs telling you what you are looking at.) Anyway, I knew I could not use marble for the countertops. It's just not a good idea. Maybe if we were the only ones using it and could baby it. But that's not reality. So, I had to pull up my big girl pants and just get over it! I'm so excited and happy about our choices. And by "our" I mean my choices that Butch is going along with. He told me I could get whatever I wanted and I'm holding him to it! Luckily, he's liked most things so far.

Well, that's all I have for now. We've purchased everything, I just do not have pictures of it all. 

I always say I have a "vision" for what I want. My friend and designer, Christy sees my vision. But on this project, I'm a little nervous to be working with our contractor with no middle man and trying to convey exactly what I want. So, we plan to go down a lot to make sure it's all coming together as we want it to. 

Fingers crossed! For sure!

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.