Saturday, April 4, 2020

What We're Eating

Be sure to check the darling update at the bottom!

Saturday---this is the day that we went to Sonic and had burgers. You already know that story.

Sunday---I made a family favorite---Chicken Pot Pie. And, it couldn't be easier. Originally, I got this recipe from my friend, Christy. It called for a can of mushrooms. Now don't get me wrong, we like mushrooms. But there were too many, so I've left them out ever since. We like it better without.

Chicken Pot Pie
1 pkg. Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 can Veg All mixed vegetables, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup*

Mix all ingredients and spoon into the pie shell. Follow the instructions on the box for a two crust pie.  I'd like to know how you are supposed to cover the edge of the pie with foil to keep it from getting too brown. The pie is hot. I end up just sort of laying some foil on top.

I served this with frozen lima beans. I made a frozen cherry salad, but then forgot to serve it. Luckily, it stays in the freezer, so it won't go to waste! I got this recipe from my friend, Nancy A. in 1987 when she served it at a spring luncheon.

Frozen Cherry Salad
1 can cherry pie filling
1 14 oz. can of crushed pineapple
1 14 oz. can Eagle brand condensed milk
1 13 oz. container Cool Whip (I use light)

Mix all ingredients. Freeze in a 9x13 dish. Cut in squares. As for me, I freeze scoops of it in muffin cups, freeze, then store in ziplock bags. That way, it's already pre-portioned and ready to go. This salad is served frozen.

Monday
Since Butch's complaint about too much food, we just had grilled cheese and tomato soup (another can used).

Tuesday
I made a new recipe. I don't particularly care for water chestnuts (except in spinach dip), but would probably have liked it better had I chopped them. Butch thought it was pretty good, so I'm going to share the recipe.

Also, whenever I make a recipe, I always make a notation in the cookbook, or on the recipe.

To go along with this, I made buttered carrots and some quick rolls, which was also a new recipe. They were really easy,  but as it turned out, we didn't like them. The texture was good, but they were too salty. I don't think you can reduce the salt because that, along with the baking soda is the "rising" agent. So, I threw the recipe away and won't bother sharing it. Luckily it only made 6, so I didn't have to waste too much.

Wednesday
It was a beautiful day, so I was torn about trying this new recipe, or just putting the burgers on the grill. In the end, I decided to go with the new recipe. They were yummy!

Onion Burgers
1 lb. ground chuck
1 onion sliced

Salt and pepper the patties. Using a squirt of olive oil in the pan, put in the onions. Put the burgers on top and cover. When the top of the burgers has lost its pink, turn and continue to cook uncovered until desired "doneness" (if that's a word). We topped ours with American cheese.

Oven Baked French Fries
Peel the desired number of potatoes. Cut in to 1/4" strips. Toss with a little olive oil in a bowl and then spread out on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Turn. Now here's where I diverted from the recipe. At this point, after turning, I was to up the temperature to 450 and bake another 15 minutes. I didn't do that at all because after 30 minutes, they were already done and getting a little dark. They were delicious. I considered using the air fryer, but decided this was easier and faster.

Thursday
We just had frozen pizza.

Friday
On Fridays, we pretty much always have a charcuterie board along with our happy hour cocktails. So I decided to make a quiche for lunch.

Easy Quiche
Pillsbury pie crust, baked
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cheese
S&P to taste

You can add whatever ingredients you want. Today, I did spinach. I used a 10 oz. frozen pkg. It's really good, but I think the next time I'll just use a half package. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (my oven cooks fast, so I only cooked it 35 minutes.

I served the frozen cherry salad that I have in the freezer and the leftover carrots. I also made lemon squares. I love sweets, but try to limit myself to one per week. This recipe came from my friend, Nancy E. This is the sort of recipe where you pretty much have all the ingredients on hand all the time.

Lemon Squares
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Cream above and press into a 9x9 square pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350.

Beat together the following:
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
4 tbsp. lemon juice
Mix and pour on to hot crust. Bake an additional 20-25 minutes. Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
I was so happy to use this vintage pyrex dish I bought at an antique shop years ago. I love the turquoise---so 50's!

So that's if for our meals for the week. Have you done anything new?

***And just like that, I've used 4 cans of soup this week!

Darling update.
So, I told Butch that he hadn't been calling me darling. In a sarcastic way, he said, "good morning, darling!" That's okay, I'll take it. Then a few days later, he said, "do you want me to make lunch, darling?" In a slightly less sarcastic manner. And then last night, our happy hour ended when I spilled my drink and he said, "okay, that's enough, darling!" And it wasn't sarcastic at all!

Wow, with only three darlings, I think he might be trained! The most romantic word in the English language---I'm telling you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.