Saturday, May 6, 2023

Something for Saturday

1. I am writing this on Friday as I wait for everyone to arrive for our "Cinco de Mayo" party. There will be 17--all family with 9 being out-of-towners--5 staying with us. We're doing frozen margaritas and a taco bar with almond cookies for dessert. Morgan sent out an email invitation for this.

After that, I'll be getting ready for the Coronation party starting at 4 a.m.--for me as I don't want to miss a thing! I'm planning to be ready by then. I'll work on getting the tea and food ready during the commercials. I don't expect anyone to get here until 7 or 8 a.m. There will be 11 of us. We're having spinach and asparagus quiches, cranberry gelatin salad, poppyseed bread, cinnamon and blueberry scones with Devonshire cream, chicken salad, and pimento cheese mini sandwiches and grapes. I'll brew two types of tea from Fortnum & Mason: Jubilee and Victoria Grey.

When I sent out the e-vites for the Coronation, Robbie, Jordan's boyfriend asked her, "Does your family celebrate everything?

Yeah, pretty much--especially if it's royal!! I'm doing my part for the crown!

2. So, I've had this climbing white hydrangea for about 25 years now. Plenty of beautiful foliage, but it had never bloomed until last year when I had--oh 3 or 4 clusters. 

This is last year. I wish I had a picture when it was blooming. I guess I forgot. Anyway, I attributed that to the fact that I had just added several new climbing hydrangeas to the back fence. I guess the birds and the bees did their job and fertilized this for the first time. 

I couldn't wait until this year. And then, our big freeze. Several of the new ones died. As a result, my 25+ year-old plant is suffering as a result. The foliage is fine--as vibrant and healthy as ever. But the blooms, 
Do you see it? That one, teeny little blossom! That's not even how this plant blooms. It has dozens of these little ones to form a big cluster. I'm holding out hope that maybe it's still a bit early. Fingers crossed!

3. Speaking of plants freezing, my rhododendrons took quite a hit too.
The leaves were all frozen and dead. Still, there are a few blooms struggling to make it. I'll need to decide if I think it's worth keeping. No telling how long it will take to be a healthy green again.

4. Camp Aunt Barb will be here before you know it. This year, we informed the kids that since they were getting older, we were not going to entertain them for every single minute. Also, we weren't going to be having all of these games and prizes for everything. Sooo, they decided that they were going to plan everything themselves. 

They are quite serious about the whole thing--even spending their own money to buy game prizes! Jeanne and Janet have already taken them shopping twice for that. 

Last Saturday, was their planning session.  Jeanne said they had to turn around  and go back because Travis forgot his notebook!! 
They are really serious!! They put all the prizes together to figure out what was going to be for what activity or game. If you can make the itinerary larger, you'll see that they are planning each day. I love that! 

But what really cracks me up is that they have listed the "Saran rap boll"! There are several things about this that made me laugh:
1. We've never done that before.
2. They bought things to put in the "boll" (you start the Saran Wrap with something, candy, money or little trinkets). You keep winding it up with more and more things inside. Then it becomes a dice game--every time you roll a 6, you get to unwrap to the next treat.
3. I think it's funny that they have "happy hour" on the list. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Our family "happy hours" are quite organized. Each person tells a story about their week. The kids were reluctant at first when they were really little. But now they usually can't wait for their turn. Until it IS their turn, then they act all shy and bashful!! But, they put it on the list, so that says a lot!
4. I get that an 11-year-old might not know how to spell "wrap", but how is it that he doesn't know how to spell b-a-l-l?
Like I said, cracks me up!

I told them that I want them to plan the meals too. That way, they'll definitely eat what I make!! One of the kids didn't like grilled cheese last year!! Really? Who doesn't like grilled cheese?? I got a little testy about that!

Whatever they come up with will be fun, that's for sure! I like that I'm not doing all the planning! I do have one new thing up my sleeve. They have to have at least one surprise! Everyone loves a surprise. 

5. Okay, this is getting out of hand!
Twenty church envelopes for the month!!! It doesn't really affect us as we send one check a month--they can divvy it up any way they want!! I wonder what they spend on printing so many envelopes. And, how much does it cost to pay the person who has to figure out what each one is going to say? Seems like a lot.



2 comments:

  1. Did you enjoy the Coronation? Charles looked quite emotional at times. I was so relieved that it all went off without a hitch and to actually see the ceremony and the historical traditions being acted out was so interesting. I bet they are all relieved that it is over now - they've spent so much time planning in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, it seems to me that 20 envelopes means the church elders cannot decide on priorities and/or are trying to keep entirely too many factions satisfied. We are like you, we give and then really don't care to know the politics of how it gets spent. Let God handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.