Monday, May 3, 2021

Monday Mystery--Solved!

Okay, let me start with me. I have been having some dizziness for nigh on 3 years now. It was mostly sporadic and only when I looked up--like to hammer a nail or get something off of a high shelf. 2 1/2 years ago, my doctor gave me antibiotics for an inner ear infection. That didn't really work, so basically I forgot about it. 

In recent months, it has gotten worse. I actually went to the doctor for something unrelated, but while filling out all the pages of pre-information, I was reminded of the dizziness. I checked that box. That started it off. Suffice it to say that despite a couple doctors and a little scare along the way, I have finally been diagnosed. 

I have BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). 

As it turns out, Sandy had this years ago. She told me about it before I even saw the ENT. She said, "Mom, don't you remember? My crystals were out of line?" Honestly, I didn't remember that. She said that she had to do some physical therapy and that fixed it. Well, lo and behold--that's exactly what I had to do. Only one treatment with instructions to do it a couple more times at home has completely solved it! 

It's such a crazy thing. there are these "crystals" (of course there's another medical term a little difficult to pronounce) deep in the inner ear. There are a few things that cause them to get out of whack like a head injury or--my reason--age! 

It's been a pretty simple procedure to get them back in place. I do go back to the doctor in a month where they'll test me again. After that, I've been told that it might never happen again. But if it does, I'll know exactly what to do.

I swear, our bodies are the ultimate mystery of all. Every time I turn around, I hear about something I've never heard of before! 





1 comment:

  1. So pleased that there was an easy fix for this - I'm guessing you must have had a minor head injury because you're clearly to young for it to be age related ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.