This will probably be the most expensive post I'll make. Well, at least until we do the driveway!!
So, long story short, a guy came to the door and convinced me to let him get up on the roof to check for hail damage. And, by golly, he found lots of it! Still, I felt like he over-exaggerated it. He did take about 50 pictures, but the "dings" looked so little that it didn't seem like it needed replacing.
He told me he was pretty sure that we have a leak--visible by ceiling damage--at the left rear of our house. He asked what room it was. I told him it was our master bedroom and that we didn't have a leak. I had him come in to show him.I had him lean in to the room because, well, I said I didn't want him walking on my white carpet! He was right! I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed the obvious "stain"--faint as it is. Later when the insurance adjuster came out, we noticed a couple others. Our roofer came out with him and took him on the roof too.
So, the adjuster reported back to the company and told them that we did indeed, need a new roof. To the tune of $56,000!!! Turns out, we have some sort of super duper expensive insurance. Butch had been asking our broker why our insurance was so expensive. Now we know! Hallelujah! We just had to pay our $5,000 deductible.
Our roofer said that they would do it in 3 days! And, they did! Luckily, we were out of town for the last two days.
The supplies arrived on the first day while they were taking off the TWO previous roofs--part of our super-duper insurance.
My best count was 10 guys: 4 on front, 4 on back and 2 picking up.
There were so many vehicles that it was hard to find a place to park! I parked out front. When I was leaving, they had the front stairs covered with a gigantic tarp. As soon as they saw me, they started to remove the tarp. I said, "No" and then pantomimed--holding his arm. They didn't speak English. I took hold of his arm and made my way down. There's no way I was taking a chance with that precarious situation. Remember I said that I am trying really hard to recognize the number--74--is too old to be taking any chances--and I don't!
When I got home, we did the same thing going up the steps. I noticed the microwave right away. Later when I came out to water my plants, I took this picture--making sure no one was around. This was my tip-off that they were planning to stay for dinner!!
That reminded me of my brother, Ronnie who was a Sheet Metal Worker. He worked in the heat of summer all his working life. He got a brilliant idea. He bought one of this little college refrigerators and left it on the job site. He "rented" space in his fridge--I think it was fifty cents a day for his fellow workers to have their own ice cold drinks! He paid for the fridge in no time!This is one more thing that "we will never have to buy again!" The girls don't like it when we say that, but it's the truth--and kinda' fun to say it!
Next up:
The drive-way!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.