Wednesday, April 13, 2022


It's been a coupla' days! And when I say a coupla' days, I mean like a weeks long coupla' days--for some of us! Let me explain.

We left last Thursday for Kentucky Lake. On the way, Mindy texted me that she was a bit nervous because she was on the way to get an emergency root canal. This is after suffering tooth pain for a coupla' days. 

I wished her well and didn't give it another thought. After all, I slept through my root canal about 20 years ago. I always say, "make me sit still and close my eyes and I'm out!" 

By Saturday, she was in a lot of pain. I'm going to cut to the chase here. She was in excruciating pain. The endodontist did not have an after hours emergency service. By Monday morning at 5:30 a.m., she asked me to come get her. When you don't feel good, you just want your mama!
I immediately gave her some of my "old" prednisone. She had already used ALL they had given her in the dose pack. At 8 a.m. I marched her in the the endodontist's office. The doctor "adjusted her bite"--didn't know that could be done. It didn't work. Pain didn't go away, but got worse. She was on massive doses of Tylenol and ibuprofen.

By Tuesday night, Justin delivered her to us again. The poor guy didn't know what to do for her. She said, "take me to mom and dad's." She felt like he needed to get a good's night sleep for work since this had been going on so long. She was already fretting about the work she was missing! 

After consulting with a doctor friend of ours (actually his wife--Madely--is who I call--she is my "go to" nurse friend who then consults her husband as necessary), we took her to the emergency room. We got there at 11 p.m. and didn't get home until 2 a.m. The meds they gave her were to last until 7:30-8 a.m. when we could get to the pharmacy for prescriptions. Well, it didn't. She was up by 6 a.m. 

I'm telling you, this was awful. She was shaking--she was in so much pain. Turns out it was all because the crown above the root canal had failed due to the movement of teeth with invisaline!!  So many moving parts here before they could figure it out! 

Now, all is finally good! Pain is just about gone or at least reduced more to soreness.

Here it all is in a nutshell--in Mindy's words:

I’m on the mend now, but in case you’re wondering, here’s my last 6 days by the numbers:

Seen 1 dentist 
Seen 2 endodontists
Seen 1 ER doctor
Had 2 dentist appointments
Had 3 endodontist appointments
Had 1 ER visit
Been prescribed 2 steroid packs
Been prescribed 1 antibiotic
Been prescribed Percocet (which apparently you’re not supposed to drive on 😬)
Taken ~24 ibuprofen (per Doctor)
Taken ~24 extra strength acetaminophen (per Doctor)
4 lidocaine shots
Topical lidocaine
Had 3 X-rays
1 root canal
1 root canal adjustment
1 crown removed
End of Invisalign
This picture does not include the 2 dose packs!


Nothing like meeting your dental insurance deductible for the whole year in just 6 days 😬
Back to me: I'm so happy that it's all over now. I have to admit, I cried after she finally left to go home. My babies will always be my babies. When they suffer---so do I!! I don't care how old they are!!

1 comment:

  1. That last sentence sums it all up - no matter how old they are! Poor Mindy - what a traumatic time she's had. Hopefully she's well on the road to recovery now.


Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.