Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...subscription boxes. 

There are so many now. There is a box for just about anything you can think of, from date nights, wine clubs, kids crafts to cooking boxes and home decor boxes. It's all fun!  It feels like a birthday surprise when a box arrives. The gift that truly keeps on giving!

I've already mentioned a few that I/we subscribe to. I still get my "Stitch Fix" box. I cut back to every other month because--let's face it--we're not going anywhere, so I don't need as many clothes. Still, it's so much fun to get that box.

I've discussed the meal boxes we get. We love them. 

Over the years, I've had a variety of subscription scrapbook boxes. This year, I've subscribed to a little monthly packet from Scrapbook and Cards Today. It's fun to get a little surprise of scrapbook products.

Well, this year, we--and by "we" I mean "I"--gave the girls several subscriptions. Butch doesn't usually get involved with gift giving for the girls. I give him assignments for the guys! Anyway, this year, I got Sandy a subscription to a monthly "Book Club" box. I had no idea there were so many!

For Sandy, I settled on Once Upon a Book Club.
I just knew it would be right up her alley--and Stephanie's too. But I had already finished with Stephanie's shopping, so I got her just this one box as a surprise. Sandy is getting a 3 months subscription.

Inside the box is the book and several little treats that go along with the book. Inside the book is a little post it to remind you to open the treat when you get to that page. I'm excited to see what they get. I'm more concerned about the books themselves. This sounds like a lot of fun, but if the books are "fluff," then it will be more like a fun surprise, but not something to continue longterm.

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned that I got Stephanie a subscription of historical letters from Letterjoy. The family got a good laugh out of it, but I knew that Steph would like this sort of thing. After all, when she was in high school, for the interim program, where you could choose anything from cooking to crafts, she chose FDR and the New Deal! She came home with a stack of books from the library to explore it further. A couple New York trips ago, I took the girls to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. Sandy and Mindy only lasted about a half hour. I was interested for an hour. Steph came out after an hour and a half and was really mad that she didn't have enough time. That's how Steph rolls, so I knew she'd enjoy this club. Monthly themes include Supreme Court Battles, Birth of the Automobile and Civil War Spies. Each week's letter explores that months' theme from a new angle. 

For Mindy, I decided on Fit Fab Fun. I gave that to Sandy a couple years ago and she really enjoyed it. The box contains all kinds of personal care items from lotions and skin care to soft blankets and socks. 
This is not the box that Mindy got, but you get the idea. It's full of all kinds of fun goodies!

As for me, that book box sounded really interesting. But, since I'm pretty much hooked on my Kindle, I didn't do that for myself. On the other hand, I stumbled across a subscription that is really perfect for me. I signed up for The Flower Letters. It's a series of letters (called the Audrey Rose Letters) during WWII--my favorite time period. (Once again, my photos would not cooperate as to the order I wanted them to display. Oh well.)
This is the contents of my first letter. 
The envelopes are beautiful! This letter was about the meeting of a young couple--Audrey Rose and Charlie-- at an army dance in Tullahoma, TN. The first letter was from Charlie who is clearly smitten with Audrey Rose. There is also the historical aspect of what's happening in the war and the part each of them play.
The second letter was from Audrey Rose to Charlie. Her father is a general and she works as his secretary. She is as smitten with him as he is with her. 
The contents are beautiful--all handmade art  including a couple stickers. 
Besides the stickers, this letter contained a post card that you can actually use! Then, as if it couldn't get any better, I got an email with a link to the playlist the Audrey Rose and Charlie danced to---big band, swing music. I love it!

Really, these subscription boxes are more about the surprise than anything else. Who doesn't like getting mail--especially when it's a package! 

What about you? Do you subscribe to anything?

1 comment:

  1. That's an intriguing concept, The Flower Letters - never heard of anything like this before. I'm not sure subscription boxes have taken off in the UK the way they seem to have in the US. Magazines, yes. I give a subscription to science/do-your-own-experiments magazines for each of my grandsons, partly to encourage their understanding of English as they live in mainland Europe; one year I gave my DD a subscription to Persephone Press, which publishes neglected women writers from the mid-20th century, and she loved it. Hoping you continue to enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.