Sunday, January 24, 2021

Some Things for Sunday

By the time you are reading this, we will be in Atlanta visiting with Sandy and family. We decided to make a brief stop on our way to the beach. We're finally getting to put our condo back together after the remodel. It's been a long time coming with lots of bumps along the way. Can't wait!

In the meantime, I just had to share a few more book boxes. I am so enthralled by these. They are popping up all over! I love it! I think I need to carry some books in my car that I can add to these boxes whenever I see one. 

I was surprised to see this one in our old neighborhood. They put it in the common area where there happens to be two stone benches nearby. 
This one was in Connie's neighborhood---right down from her house. It's kind of ironic that the security sign is right below it. Makes you wonder, "should I or shouldn't I?" Will an alarm go off if I open the door?
This one has been on my list for quite awhile. I cannot recall where I saw it. Of course, the bright blue really catches your eye. I love that they are popping up everywhere, but wonder if anyone actually is taking advantage of them. I hope so. 

Did you know that during the depression--1934, there were "pack horse librarians" that started in Kentucky? We read The Giver of Stars for book club. That was when I first learned about these libraries. The storyline wasn't the greatest, but I found the whole idea of the library pretty fascinating. I purchased The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek recently, but haven't read it yet. This one adds a further twist--being inspired by the true blue-skinned people of Kentucky. I've never heard of them either, so I'm excited to find out more.

You know what they say, books take you places when you have to stay at home! Or something like that. Definitely works for me!

PS Just in case you were wondering about the very first bookmobiles---okay, I'm the one wondering---the first one was in England (no surprise) in 1859! 
The bookmobile was drawn by a horse. The idea didn't make its way to the US until the early 1900's. So now you know!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of these little libraries. Last year I discovered one down the street from my Pilates Studio (next of a church parking lot), so I blessed it with some books. We need to pare down our paperbacks, so I really should search online and see what else I can find around here. A friend told me that Goodwill had been inundated with books during the pandemic, and the used bookstore closed, so a few little libraries might be a fun way to pass on some volumes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.