Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Travel Tuesday

Jeanne and Janet left around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday morning with the kids after another successful Camp Aunt Barb. By 9 a.m. we, too were out the door heading to the beach.

Our first stop was in Birmingham to see the Eddie Kendricks memorial.
If you don't know Eddie Kendricks, then you don't know The Temptations!! Oh. My. Gosh! I LOVED The Temptations. My cousin, Chrissy and I danced continuously to this album:
Oh, the memories! We were totally in to Motown and The Temps were our favorite! Anyway, Butch and I had no idea that Eddie Kendricks was from Birmingham. Honestly, I started to cry---and then realized they weren't tears, it had started raining! Butch made a dash for the car and the umbrella, while I waited under a tree--only marginally sheltered. It wasn't lightening, so I guess that was okay.

Our next stop was "Freedom Park." It looked like it was really cool with many awesome sculptures. We ended up just driving by. 1. It was still drizzly, and 2. We felt like this was too sensitive of a time to risk being white people in this area. (I hope that doesn't sound bad.) We plan to save it for another time. We always like to have a couple stops on the way to the beach to break up the time.
We got to the beach around 6. We sat on the porch with our cocktails and enjoyed the cool, gulf breeze. It's humid for sure, but was a nice way to start our "work-filled" trip. FYI I'm not sure what you call this drink. Technically, it's a vodka tonic, but I used Fever Tree grapefruit flavored tonic. It's really good.

Monday morning, I started the day with my usual walk. By the time I got back---a little before 7 a.m.---I was soaked!! I need to remember to bring a wet paper towel the next time. I kept sweating in my eyes---really burns. As I've said a million times, I'm a "sweat-er." 

After I got cleaned up, we headed to our condo at Emerald Beach in Panama City to check on things. I decided to take a few pictures to share. 



 We have one bedroom and two baths. I love the floor we put in to replace the carpet.

 There is a set of bunk beds in the hall. That's a pretty common thing down here.


 We're on the 8th floor overlooking the beach. 
PCB is way too crowded for my taste. We currently have this place on the market to sell. Butch was saying how much he still loves it here---me not so much. I'm just a Santa Rosa Beach lover. We've been going there for over 30 years now. Considering I don't love the beach, Santa Rosa is my favorite place.

We've waffled back and forth on selling this condo. Now I think we're going to keep it and put it back on the rental program (since Butch does love it). We're thinking of taking our Santa Rosa condo off the rental market. That will make me really happy. It's a "win/win" for both of us!! Plus one can pay for the other! Definitely a "win/win"!
Then there's this. We remembered why we don't like to go to the beach in the summer time---traffic!! It's terrible! You have to just creep along. You can see your turn ahead and it still takes 15 minutes to get there!!

We're having a great time down here--even with the work. I'll share part 2 of my "Travel Tuesday" post next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.