Sunday, December 4, 2022

Something for Sunday

Let's start with Friday morning. I was invited by an "old" friend to attend a Christmas luncheon at the Centennial Club And I mean "old" in both ways you can take it. 

Louise has invited me for about 5 or 6 years now. Last Sunday, she called me to see if I could pick her up as she had broken her foot a couple days before. After questioning her as to whether she wanted to go or not, I agreed. Then she said that she had invited another friend and would I mind taking her too. Okay, no problem. Or was there?

I pulled up in front of Belle Meade Towers---beautiful, luxury condos in Belle Meade--our upscale part of town. Louise and her friend, Joan were waiting in the lobby for me. I had borrowed Butch's car for the occasion since I knew that a couple of old ladies would not be able to manage my Jeep. I hopped out of the car to help them---both on canes, Louise in a short boot--to boot! The doorman also helped. 

I got Louise settled first in the front--no problem. Then I turned my attention to Joan and getting her into the back seat. Let's just say that it took a while. I had to lift her legs in as she kept getting them hooked on the bottom of the door. I had a hard time getting them to clear the door too, so I asked her to scoot back. That worked. Finally, we were all buckled in and I was off to go the 2 miles to the club. Immediately, Louise said, "Honey, why did you go this way? Oh, this is the long way." I tried to explain that I was going the way I knew. She kept saying, "Oh, honey, this is the long way. You should have gone straight. Okay, you need to go left at the next light--no, not here, that's a driveway!" Duh, I wasn't going to turn into a driveway and I knew to turn left because that's the way I was going. About that time, Joan pipes up from the back seat, "Are we going to Cincinnati?" Believe me, when I tell you, we had only been traveling for 3 minutes at this point. 

Seriously, I felt like I was driving with my friends. Somehow I always end up being the driver and they always criticize. I've often gotten aggravated and said that I'm NOT going to drive anymore. But then I do. Honestly, I'm not sure who I trust to drive amongst the bunch anyway.

We got to the club in exactly 6 minutes and were a half hour EARLY!! If I'd taken the shorter route, we'd have been even earlier! I pulled up to the front door and got one out of the car and up the 5 or 6 steps and situated inside before getting the 2nd one. Then I parked the car. 

When I got inside, I found us a place to sit so we could enjoy the Christmas carols. There were waiters walking around with trays of poinsettias (champagne and cranberry juice). I wish I had taken a picture of the drinks. I swear, it was the smallest drink I've ever seen. Not the glass, but the amount of drink in it! I guess they are afraid that all these old ladies would slosh and spill or get tipsy. I'm sure they would and we can't have that! To say this is an "old" club goes both ways too.
That head right behind the music stand is one of Mindy's teachers when she was in 6th or 7th grade. A couple of the ladies I knew from bridge.

The luncheon was lovely--a delicious turkey dinner with all the trimmings. The place was beautifully decorated--the theme was a Tennessee Christmas--hence all the fresh fruits on the table along with magnolia, nandina, holly, acorns, and pinecones. I love their use of mint julep cups and silver coffee pots. Everything was so festive.
There I am in the mirror taking the picture. I didn't realize it until I saw the picture. My red sweater really stands out. I thought these crocheted trees were pretty nice mixed in with bottle brush trees and fresh ivy. I love all the shades of green...

...and the different textures of the trees. I'd never seen anything like this before.
Here's Louise and me. I'm not so good at "selfies." My arm's too short. After I took this one, Louise said, "Oh honey, I have to get my sunglasses on. They make me look so glamorous!" She said her daughter always tells her to take them off. 
In solidarity with her, I said, "Well, I want to look glamorous too!" I think we do!

Once the luncheon was over, I reversed the process---retrieving the car and then getting Louise and Joan into it. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, Louise said, "Now honey, I'm going to show you how to go." Okay, fine. She proceeded to direct me the exact same way I brought them--until a couple blocks away where she had me turn left and make a little jog. So, okay, maybe it was 10 seconds shorter!! Funny!

I just love old people--although I feel like I'm starting to catch up to them! But one thing I learned from this outing--I really do better handling just one at a time! By the time I got home, I was ready for a nap. Now who's old?

Friday night was our annual dinner with friends. I'll save that for another time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.