Wednesday, July 12, 2023

What I Buy Wednesday

We're in Florence. Did I mention it's really hot? 100+ every day. It was hot, but not humid so it was fine as long as you could find shade. Well, yesterday, the humidity started. OMGosh! It's soooo hot. We're all sweating and soaked. Our hair is wet and our make-up melts off. Our tour guide gave us rechargeable fans on the very first day. Believe me, we are using them! 

The heat isn't stopping us--we're having so much fun! We had a 3-hour walking tour today that was 2 hours too long. But since we are a group of 16, we could not just leave. It would have been an insult to the guide. So we toughed it out!

After the tour and a visit to a gold and leather shop (where Jordan bought two leather jackets (remember, she lives in LA--I guess it gets chilly in winter) and Robbie bought a reversible leather belt--a couple of the guys bought those), we girls went to the Gucci museum. 
This room was filled with Gucci purses through the years. 

Morgan and I had every intention of buying a Gucci bag. When we finished in the museum, we went into the shop. The difference between that shop and a regular Gucci store is that what they sell can only be bought there. Whereas, Gucci stores around the world all carry the same things. 

We were very excited to have this rare opportunity in Florence. Gucci is based here  and a purse would make a great souvenir. We girls love our purses! 

I didn't really see anything that I totally loved. Since I'll only use crossbodies, that narrows the field. Morgan fell in love with an iconic style. She asked about the price. It was $13,000!!! She was so disappointed because she had given herself a pretty generous budget. I told her that since these items were so rare, it's possible that they really "jack up" the prices. I told her that what she planned to spend was more than enough to get a Gucci! So, she wanted to go to the regular Gucci store. I was going to go with her, but she wanted to do it right then and the rest of us girls wanted to get lunch. She took off by herself. I never made it to the Gucci store as I had looked when I was in New York last month and didn't really see anything that would work for me. 

Instead, Sandy, Sharon, and I headed to the leather market. You can't go to Florence without going to the leather market! Butch, Matt, Stephanie and Nicky met us there. Of course, we found purses and a few other things. I did the bargaining for all of us. 

I need another pashmina like I need a hole in the head! But I couldn't resist this unusual one. I loved the irises which are some sort of symbol of Florence. The Venetian mask is my souvenir Christmas ornament. I wanted to get it in Venice, but I had my heart set on a red one. I saw some, but none of them were what I really had in mind. I love this one. At least the tag says that it is a Venetian mask even if I didn't actually get it in Venice. And, finally, I bought myself a red leather purse. You cannot imagine the variety and beautiful colors of the purses. Believe it or not, I do not have a red purse so I landed on that--it was so hard to choose. Sharon bought the exact one in teal--also beautiful. Sandy got a gorgeous brown, black, and white--sort of reversible handbag. Hers looks like something you would see on the runway somewhere. Really pretty. If it were a crossbody, I wouldn't have been able to resist either.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped for gelato. I always get the pistachio. The one today was the best I've ever had. It was sort of salted--perfect for this heat.

When we got back to the hotel, I got a text from Morgan:
I was like, "I wanna' see!" In my mind, I was thinking, "Holy cow! What did she buy? That's a big bag!" She sent a few more pictures:
She brought it over to our room for me to see it in person.
It's so cute! She ended up going over her budget because she wanted the matching wallet!!
It came with a lock to lock the purse and two cute little keys with holders for both the lock and keys. So darn cute! Then when she told me that---that store is the original Gucci and where all the designing takes place, I was mad that I didn't go there after all! I'm pretty sure Butch is happy that I didn't go! I was really happy for Morgan. I can still remember how I felt when Butch bought me my first in the 80's. 

All in all, it was a really fun shopping day.

Tomorrow we set out for Rome. I think it's supposed to be a little cooler there. At least I hope so!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.