Saturday, July 29, 2023

Scrapbook Saturday

Today, I'm devoting this entire post to what my plans are for my Italy layout. A few years ago, I decided that I do not want a whole book about one trip. For that matter, I don't even want more than a single layout. That leads me to getting creative to contain it all within one double-page spread.

Let's start with all of the memorabilia I collected on our trip. Maps make great backgrounds on the pages. There's a blue receipt, a sturdy envelope that contained hotel keys, a printed tag, two little pockets, a blue business card from a gelato place, green leaf from the hotel regarding recycling towels, a tri-fold card from the pillow menu, the breakfast menu order folder, green tag, some cute edged receipt and another little folder with pockets. 
I've printed my favorite pictures in two sizes.
Here's everything combined with the trip journal.
I have so much stuff, that I don't need many scrapbooking supplies. Still, I pulled a few things out--just in case I need a little something extra.

Then I added a few more things. I got the idea that in keeping with my goal of containing everything within a double-page spread, I am going to create a "mini book"--just sort of spread out. 

There's a little background story to that. A few weeks ago, I was a guest on The Scrap Gals podcast. One of the hosts made the comment that basically, each of my travel layouts are mini books with flip-ups, pull-outs, accordion folders, etc. That resonated with me and popped in my head when starting to plan the Italy trip. I took 4 sheets of navy 12 x12 cardstock and cut it in half to 6 x12. I folded each in half to create 8--6x6 cards. My plan is to use one for each of the 8 days of our trip. Of course, I'll have to be judicious in the photos I choose.
Next came sorting all the pictures and memorabilia into the appropriate days (I just use scrap paper for this) and jot down notes about each day. 
I then made a little sketch of what I was envisioning in my mind---because, God knows, I'll forget it by tomorrow! I'm using that breakfast menu folder for the title. Then, I got another idea. I just cannot turn off my mind---I'm always thinking---which isn't always the best use of my time! 
I came up with the idea of printing our Peaks and Pits on little cell phones--a printable from Ali Edwards that I cut up. "Peaks and Pits" is something we do at the end of every trip--each person names their favorite thing and least favorite thing of the trip. I had the thought that they would fit perfectly in the little black pocket. But, I only had two of them. That's when I decided that I would make my own and stitch them on the sewing machine.
Two and a half hours later, I had two of them. I had to format and print the journaling on the little cell phones and sew the pockets. That's when I decided that I didn't like the white thread since it didn't show up. I texted my friend, Karolyn with a request for her to re-thread my sewing machine. Remember, I don't really know how to sew. I bought my Singer for $75.00 about 15 years ago, just for scrapbooking. Karolyn has changed the thread because I can't seem to get it--I don't sew often enough to really learn anything. It was going to be several days before she was going to be able to do it. Well, I decided that it was ridiculous to wait for her to come over. I'm a reasonably intelligent person and should be able to figure it out. Instead of getting out the book--which I've done several times and couldn't figure out--I laid the black thread next to the white on my machine. Without removing the white thread, I just threaded the black over it. Then I carefully pulled out the white thread. Voila! Worked like a charm. Now I can use other colors whenever I want rather than just having Karolyn thread a single color for a year! Okay to be honest, I probably only really use my sewing machine about 6 times a year. Maybe I'll start using it more now. 
Since the formatting was done, it only took me about an hour and a half to make all of these. The black thread shows up much better.

I'm actually very excited to make this layout. But, I'm saving it for when I go on my scrapbook retreat in October. When I go on a retreat, I like to have things planned out. It will come together pretty quickly now.

At least I have one layout ready to go! Only 19 more!














1 comment:

  1. I love seeing how other people organize a big trip. Like most scrappers I have my own process, but I also like to improve on that process so love to see what others do. I can't wait to see the end project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.