Monday, July 10, 2023

Me on Monday

Well, you are not going to believe what happened to me on our very first day in Venice! No, I didn't fall down. I nabbed a pick pocketer! Really! Here's the story:

It's hot here. Very hot. It's only bearable because there is no humidity. But in the sun, it's hot. Okay, that has nothing to do with the story. Just adding to the suspense!

We were out walking around, just enjoying the day and being together. We all separated about lunch time and went our separate ways. Butch, Matt, Sharon and I went to a little outdoor cafe. When we were walking back to our hotel, we were browsing the shops. I was bringing up the rear--as usual. My purse is always a crossbody--keeps my hands free should I stumble! Anyway, after a while, the weight really wears on my neck. So, I moved my purse to my right side. I did not have it zipped because I had Butch's geo-cache papers and my phone sticking out of the top. I always have my hand on the strap near my purse opening. All of a sudden, I felt something and saw a hand in my purse. I immediately grabbed that hand and whipped around. I had a death grip on that guys wrist as I yelled for Butch. He heard me right away, but was out-of-sight around the bend. He thought I had fallen and came running. 

I'm still holding the guy and said, "He had his hand in my purse!" I wasn't letting go until I made sure he hadn't taken anything! He kept giving me a puzzled look like he didn't know what I was talking about. His wife, girlfriend or ne'er-do-well cohort started yelling at me and then Butch. Now mind you, there were people all around---who did nothing!!! Butch started pointing his finger at them and telling them he was going to call the police. At some point, I released the guy when I knew for certain he hadn't gotten anything. That'll teach him to try to take advantage of a 71 year old!!! He and said partner made a hasty retreat in the opposite direction. 

Alls well that ends well. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I hadn't know Butch was so close! I'm nothing if not feisty!! 

Now that's a DAY ONE for the books!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.