Sunday, May 7, 2023

The Coronation

I got up at 3:30 a.m. so that I could be dressed and ready for the Coronation coverage that began at 4 a.m. I had planned to get the tea and food ready during the commercials as I didn't expect anyone to get up and join me that early. 

Well, there were no commercials!! Since when does ABC not air commercials? That meant that I had to sneak away to prepare everything--like during songs or marches. I never felt like I needed a tv in the kitchen until today!

I put the banner together and lit some candles.
I had to take a couple of "selfies" to show off my "Queen Elizabeth II" shirt.

And then I had to try to get a close-up of my crown earrings...
...bought especially for this occasion.

I scurried around getting everything ready while trying not to miss anything. I had dishes to put away from last night, the table to set, "pop on the kettle," and set up the food trays. 

Fortnum and Mason Tea straight from London--Victoria Grey and Jubilee.
The teapots are ready. 


Mindy brought the fascinators! Janet and I wore them to Evie's soccer game a little later in the day. Everyone thought it was for the Kentucky Derby!! I'd forgotten about that. I just said, "God Save the King!" And then they got it!!

No doubt, I love the royals. But I'm not quite "in love" with King Charles and Queen Camilla. I loved Queen Elizabeth--and had great empathy for her and all her struggles. When it came right down to it, she was a mom with family problems just like every other ordinary family. I respected her for that--and to have to watch it all play out on the screen of public opinion.

I was mad at Prince Harry and despised Meghan as I thought she was a diva set on bringing down the royal family. I don't feel that way anymore after reading Prince Harry's book. It's the media people. The media that has caused this rift--it couldn't end any other way. I love Harry and just want him to have a happy and content family life. I do hope he and William can make amends.

 I do love Prince William and Princess Kate---and especially their darling children. That little Prince Louie is a little spitfire!

So, back to my party. 

The family wanted to know if there was some sort of 20 minute version they could watch rather than the 4 hours I had planned. Of course, they all missed the whole thing. Luckily, I took notes to provide them with the 20 minute version:

Many fascinating things I learned in no particular order:
1. There was a Coronation Claims Office set up for people who have a hereditary right for family or their business to perform a particular duty. Since they scaled back the Coronation back, many things were eliminated (like the falconers--hundreds of years of history). The have been more than 200 claims!
2. The Yeoman Warders--better known as the "Beefeaters" were given that knickname when King Henry VII allowed his guard to eat as much beef as they wanted.
3. The Coronation cost 125 million dollars (could be pounds). But it has brought in 1 billion just this week.
4. The Pope sent 2 relics from the cross of Christ.
5. The Queens dogs were Corgis and Dorgis (we never heard of them)--a mix of dachshund and Welsh Corgi.
6. The Princess Royal is the oldest daughter of the reigning monarch. Currently, Princess Anne. When William becomes king, Princess Charlotte will be the Princess Royal.
7. Buckingham Palace has its own post office and police station.
8. There were 30 large screens throughout London for the millions of people in the streets.
9. Prince Charles does 600 royal engagements a year and has logged over 20,000. That means just about twice a day for 33 years!!! Seriously, who wants that job?
10. Fortnum and Mason have been the providers of tea to the royals since 1707 and are still in the original location.
11. The Coronation quiche consists of spinach, cheese and beans. I served it minus the beans.
12. The royals have come under criticism as a drain to England. But the truth is that it only costs $1.63 for each citizen to maintain them. (I did the conversion, so dollars is correct). In return, the royals generate $2,150,000,000 (that's 2 billion, 150 million dollars) per year to Britain.

And the most important fact of all (in dollars):
The monarchy is Britains greatest treasure. It's worth $84,700,000,000 (that 84 billion, 700 million dollars). Unbelievable!!

Can you tell I love everything royal?

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that your tv channel was streaming direct from our BBC channel so no, there wouldn't have been any breaks for adverts! I'm pleased that you enjoyed it as much as you hoped you would, it certainly was an amazing ceremony wasn't it? A lot of people have been critical about the amount of money it cost, and it was a LOT!, but I am sure that the money brought in by the sheer amount of visitors has exceeded that several times over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time. I didn't commit to watching it all, but enjoyed the highlight reels. Love the tee shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.