Monday, May 8, 2023

Me on Monday

So. I reported all about the Coronation. Turns out, that's not the end of the story.

My sister-in-law, Janet was in town (and staying with me) for the weekend because her granddaughter was playing in a soccer tournament. After the Coronation party, we headed to the soccer field. Since I'm all about the memories, I told Janet that we needed to wear our fascinators. I knew that if we showed up to the soccer field in them, the little girls, Evie (11) and Josie (7) would pretend to be embarrassed, but inside, think it was pretty cool. Little did I know that we would be immortalized for it!! 

One thing I know about kids: when you do something that calls attention to them, it provides them with a bit of notoriety for about 2 minutes as they become the center of attention for whatever weird thing or not--that is going on! 

It used to be like that with my own girls when they were little. I was always at school as a nearly full-time volunteer. Whenever their little classmates saw me, they'd say, "Hey Sandy (or Stephanie, Mindy, Jordan or Morgan), there's your mom (or grammy)!" For a couple minutes, they were the center of attention as all eyes focused on them. I think it's a good thing. They might have other thoughts about it. 

Anyway, when I told Janet that we were going to do this, her first comment was that Jackie (her daughter--my niece) wouldn't like it. I said, "The heck with Jackie! We're doing it!"* 

So, we donned our fascinators and made our way to the soccer fields. As we were walking through the parking lot, the attendant--probably 50-ish male--stopped us and said, "Okay, who do you like for the Derby?" 

It took me about 2 seconds to realize what he was thinking. I had completely forgotten that the Coronation was on the same day as the Kentucky Derby! I replied, "No, it's for the Coronation!" Without missing a beat, he replied, "God save the King!" Quick thinking and well played Mr. Parking Lot Attendant!

Now is a good time to add...
 that I still had on my shirt--paying homage to QEII.
And my crown earrings. Kinda' hard to see!

We proceeded through the park on our way to find the right field. People made comments all along the way, "Love your hats!" "Nice fascinators!" "Yay Kentucky Derby" etc. Of course, I set them all straight. One gal (friend of Jackie's) even asked where in Nashville did we get these. Long story short, these belong to Mindy. She has quite a wardrobe of fascinators from a local company called Sunnybands. She and Stephanie wear them to our Steeplechase (horserace) every year.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. 

This was the last day of the tournament. Sadly, Evie's team didn't win: one loss, one win and a tie. But, they had the team picture laid out for all to see:

Now look again--real close:
Can you see those two beautiful, little ol' ladies in the back? Janet on the left and me on the right! (Oh, and Evie second from the left on the first row--but this isn't really about her)! 

Like I always say, it's about, memories, stories, and now, immortality!! How awesome is that!! Somehow as we were walking to the spectator section, we happened to get ourselves in the team picture! Right place, right time. 

Now if that isn't a story, I don't know what is!! And a memory. It's all good! Now I think I'll "pop the kettle on!"

*Side note: Jackie was perfectly fine with it. Or at least she pretended to be! I guarantee those little girls will remember this forever!



1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.