Monday, May 29, 2023

Me on Monday

Well, I got home yesterday from my trip to St. Louis and Salem. It was a busy 4 days, but we always manage to do a lot--quite a lot.

In Salem, Jeanne, Janet, and I stayed at the Crossroads Inn--each getting our own room this time. That works out great since I'm the early bird among us. That way, I don't disturb anyone with my 5 a.m. wake-up. I went out and walked at 6:45. I was thinking about how beautiful and peaceful it is in the country until I saw this:
What are the odds that I would be walking on trash collection day? And then this happened:
Once again, my peaceful walk is ruined by a noisy mower. I swear, I cannot get away from them! Even at my own house, no sooner do we get in the pool than the neighbor's mowers start up. Or if we're having happy hour on the porch, one of the neighbors starts with the weed eaters or leaf blowers. My early morning walks at home are also subject to such noise!

The farm was no different:
You can't really tell how big this thing is--it's about a football field length away--and very loud. My sister, Jennifer leases part of their land to some Mennonites so they can grow various grasses. They mowed it and then baled it for two solid days--the entire time we were there. They even worked into the night! Aggravating. I can't seem to get away from the noise! This view is from Janice's cabin.

We always go out one day. We shopped at this cute antique store that used to be a church.

We like to go every time we're in Salem. The prices are fabulous! I'll have to share what I bought when Jeanne and Janet bring it to me when they come for Camp Aunt Barb in a week and a half. I flew to St. Louis this trip. In this picture, everyone already put their stuff in the car.
Here we are at lunch. Notice I'm wearing a t-shirt---after I just told my adult nieces that I never wear t-shirts in public--only for working out. Then, when I was going through the pictures, I remembered this. I ended up not having enough clothes for Salem. I forgot about the "dog factor." Once the dogs slobber, or "nose" me with their snotty snoots, I cannot wear the clothes again. So I purposely opted to wear the T-shirt. I figured I wouldn't be running into anyone I know there!
We also went to the drugstore which has gifts. I didn't know you could even buy an ashtray anymore. I didn't--know nor buy!
This is another antique store owned by a vet and family. We always go in, but I can't handle the way it smells--they are all smokers. 

We took Janice back to St. Louis with us for the family party that Jeanne had on Saturday. 
I got to see all the "littles." Reese and Rosie enjoyed the ring pops in their treat bags which I brought for all the kids. 
Anything to make them remember their Aunt Barb! Thanks, Janet, for getting a picture. 
The whole gang. A few weren't there, but I'm happy to have this shot of who was. It was such a fun day. 

The party went late into the evening. It was around 11 when Janice said, "Barb, I didn't think you stayed up this late." Well, I don't normally--or if I am, I am reading in bed. I told her it's kind of hard to go to bed when there's a party going on and I'm sleeping on the couch! The party pretty much cleared out around 11:30. Considering it started at 2 pm, it was a long one!

But I will admit, 5 a.m. came pretty early on Sunday! We left the house at 6:30 a.m. to get me to the airport. Then it was home to our own party! It was a bit chilly and overcast, so we ended up calling it a day after our barbecue--our pool party was only 3 hours--but no pool this time--it was just too cold. That was fine with me since I was pretty tired. I took a long hot bath, read, and napped in the tub! A perfect way to spend a Sunday! 

And that's me on Monday!


1 comment:

  1. Our friends lived in Belgium for a few years and were surprised to learn that it is against the law to do anything that makes a noice on a Sunday! Over here, weekends are always the days people tend their lawns etc so it would be lovely to know that there would be no disturbances at least one day of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.