Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tuesday Thoughts about...

...wasted time!

It's unbelievable how much time is wasted each year--waiting on "hold," waiting in line, and sitting in traffic. Now you are not going to believe this, but that wasted time comes to 26 days!! Yes, 26 days!! Think about that. It's 624 hours! Holy smokes, that's a lot of wasted time! 

But not me!! Thanks to my Kindle app on my phone, I always have my book with me! Even if I'm on "hold" with a call, I can go to my book. 

Now, what about time "wasted" on social media? The average is 145 minutes per day! That's almost 2 1/2 hours! Each day! That's 912 1/2 hours a year!! I guess some people could argue that it's not wasted time. I think social media time took the place of time wasted gabbing on the phone. I've always said I'm not a phone person for the very reason that it's such a time-waster. And that's just as much my fault as the callers. I can be quite a yacker if encouraged! 

But, if I'm being honest, I would say I spend at least 3 hours on my computer each day. I spend the first hour of my day on the treadmill on my computer. I'm very methodical about what I do. I start with checking emails. If something needs a response, I have to wait until later as I cannot type and walk fast at the same time. 

After I check my emails, I check Facebook, Instagram, and read a couple blog posts I've saved to my "reading list." Usually, all of that takes a full hour. If I have time leftover, I'll go to my "saved list" on Facebook and choose one of my categories: news, entertainment, style & beauty, or gifts. It's not too difficult to make a few "clickable" purchases! 

About once a week, I go through my entire Bloglovin' list. That will take the full hour. I save everything to my reading list that I don't have time to read right then. 

After that first hour, I take my shower, have breakfast, and get back on my computer for about another hour while watching Good Morning America. Then, I'll actually answer emails, start working on a blog post, or tackle something from my to-do list. Later in the day, I'll spend another hour all together checking emails and Facebook again. And that doesn't even count the time I play games on my iPad while watching tv. There's another couple hours. Now that's the time-waster for me. Because, all the time I spend playing games means that's time I'm not stitching. I haven't done any significant stitching in months. I really need to get back to that.

Another time-waster that you might not think about is the amount of time people spend looking for things. The statistics are that we spend 60 hours a year looking for things: keys, papers, socks, etc. When I used to give my organizing talks years ago, I used this statistic to show how being unorganized costs so much time.

All that time wasted really adds up. So if you do the math, that adds up to 4.37 hours a day. Wasted! Wow, that's a lot!

Hmmm, and I think I've just wasted another hour writing this post! You know, the research and all! I can waste time better than anyone! As a matter of fact, I think I just wasted 10 minutes of yours! Ooooops! Sorry!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of ponder in here ... My timewasters include Sudoku (I know it's good for the brain but I can get lost, time-wise), and doom-scrolling the news, especially these last few weeks. You are right, it all adds up. Hoping you can get back to stitching very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.