Wednesday, December 5, 2018

What I Buy Wednesday

Well, I did it!!! I went in to Target and ONLY bought what I went for.

 These Christmas tree tea lights. Package of 4 for $3.89. I bought two packages.
I want to be able to actually light them. These are the ones that came with these vintage spindles that have been turned in to candle holders. I love re-purposed "old" things. The best part---even though the two boxes of candles were over $8.00, I only paid a nickel!!! Let me explain.

Remember last week when I went to Target and planned to use my $15.00 in rewards? Well, I went to the service desk and the manager there assured me that she had made the refund. She said that she had made a mistake and gave me my paper back, that, she said, still had $8.67 left on it. She said to just use it another time. The refund never appeared on my card.

Sooooo, on Friday, I went in to the store. I asked to speak to the Store Manager (no low level managers). I went through the whole story. The guy was very nice.
I even told him about the fact that my first "real" job was Target at 16 and wouldn't it be fun to be able to say that my last job--at 66 was at Target? He said I probably wouldn't want to do that!!! We joked around about how time had changed things. When I applied there 50 years ago, I had to take a math test. You had to be able to count back change as the cash registers did not do that.

I digress. The manager asked if I'd be okay if he just gave me $15.00 cash as that would be the easiest way. Of course I was fine with that. I offered him the paper that lady had given back to me the contained the $8.67 since I wasn't entitled to it. He told me to keep it for my trouble and use it! All was good until....

I discovered that the original refund finally came through on Saturday. I don't understand how a charge shows up immediately, but a refund takes several days! Anyway, that put me back in the position of having to return the $15.00. I went this morning and asked for the manager again. I said, "Remember me? You refunded me $15.00 in cash? Well, the refund came through, so I'm here to give the $15.00 back to you!" He insisted that I keep the $15.00 and forget about it. I told him that I just wanted to do the right thing.

I'm no math whiz, but here's how it all shook out:
I was refunded back to my credit card $16.33 (I guess that original gal added tax on top of it or something). I walked away with $8.67 (which I used for the candles). I got $15.00 from the store manager that I tried to "give back" and was told to keep. That means I got $25.00 MORE than I was entitled to! And that's why honesty is the best policy!!

Hmmm. I'm going to keep shopping Target for sure!!!

After my grocery shopping experience at Kroger this morning, I might even consider grocery shopping at Target (no, not really, but I'm NOT going back to Kroger).

I was in the self-check-out lane---right next to the guy in charge of that area. I picked up the mesh bag of lemons I was buying when they ALL spilled out and rolled all over the floor. He said, "Oooops!" and did not offer to help me pick them up. He just looked at me. The lady at the next check out helped me. I. Could. Not. Believe. It!! Really? How lazy can he be! Actually, I'm still fired up about it. I'm going to go on line and report him. That is about the lousiest customer service I've ever experienced!
I bought these pretty flowers. I love white flowers the best. It doesn't really show up, but there is silver glitter on them---very festive. And the best part...
 5 bucks!! I had enough for these:


That wraps it up for what I bought this week. How about you? Any fun experiences?

1 comment:

  1. So pleased your Target experience ended up so well - yes honesty really is the best policy!
    I haven't bought anything great yet this week but did have fun on my grocery trip to Tesco yesterday. (Tesco is one of the largest supermarkets in the UK, do you have them there?) I took my grandson so his mummy could rest at home in peace. First of all, Father Christmas was in the entrance lobby - well just how much more exciting could that be when you have a two year old in the trolley seat? Then when we got near to the end of our shop, Leo got the giggles when I was being silly and bumping into the trolley to push it along. Well, you know how contagious toddler giggles can be? We honestly had people turning round at the check outs joining in with the laughing, I think we made a lot of people smile that morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.