Saturday, April 1, 2023

Scrapbook Saturday





This is our first layout for AYM (A Year of Memories) this year. Our album is going to be a series of childhood questions. Here's my journaling and answer to the question: Isn't she Adorable? I added the subtitle: Yes, so much so that you would have thought that my mother would have remembered the day I was born! January 11, 1952

Well, she didn’t! When I turned 50, my mom was 70—so It’s not like she was all that old. I asked her to tell me about the day I was born. She said—in a somewhat aggravated tone, “Oh my God, Barbara! That was 50 years ago! I don’t remember!” To which I replied, “Mom, I get it. You had seven kids. But I was your first!! No one forgets the details of their first birth!” Well apparently, my mom did! So now I have to go with the single detail I do know. My cousin, Carl picked her up from the hospital and took her to his house. Aunt Elda took care of mom. My dad and she moved in for a month or so. That’s it. The only other details I recall anyone ever mentioning were that I was adorable, happy, and always smiling. Ronnie came along the next January. By that time I was doing and saying cute things. My poor brother was totally overlooked. I’m pretty sure mom didn’t remember anything about his birth either!









3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - what a story. You definitely would expect her to remember a little about bringing her first born home!
    I was born on the same day that Princess Grace of Monaco (Grace Kelly) gave birth to Prince Albert and my mum used to say that the first thing she really remembers about being taken back to the maternity ward after I was born was the news of that coming on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's a tender and bittersweet story ... I don't remember, if this is any consolation, my Mum being very forthcoming about my birth either. You've created so many lovely pages here with lots of happy, smiling and elegant people in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great bit of family history to get documented on a scrapbook page. And the answer is clearly yes -- you were/are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.