Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...being a princess!

I never knew I was a princess!

 I never considered myself a princess. Not. At. All! Never, not once have I thought that. 


I admit, maybe I’ve acted like it once in a while. I can be prissy now and then. I remember one time years ago when we were skiing. We went to a new place and had to park in a parking garage. I was whining about having to "carry my heavy skis and why did we have to park so far away, why couldn't we be dropped off and wah, wah, wah!" Butch turned to me and said, "Barb, what do you want me to do? I'm carrying my skis and Mindy's skis!" She was about 11 at the time--and the real princess of the family! Still, I whined. I'm spoiled and I know it! But when I act like that, I guess I need to blame Butch. Sometimes he treats me like a princess—making my tea in the morning and bringing it to me in bed so I can read for a bit before starting my day, or carrying stuff for me so I don't tumble down the stairs, or warning me about cracks in the pavement while walking so I don't trip, and just being generally nice most of the time. So, really, it's his fault if I act princess-like! 


But there's a little more to the princess thing than that. It goes all the way back to my childhood.


The Princess and the Pea

When I read that story as a little girl, I can remember thinking this is kind of stupid. How could you possibly feel a pea under one mattress much less 20? That was totally ridiculous to me. Well, now I know. 


I do not recall having a problem with this when I was a kid. I remember that I didn’t like anything with elastic around my wrists and ankles. Oftentimes, pajamas had elastic on the tops and bottoms. My mom used to cut it for me. I couldn’t stand the tightness. I still don’t. I don’t own anything with elastic around the wrists or ankles. 


But, I do have a problem. I didn’t have this problem as a kid. As I get older, it’s getting worse. It’s this: I can’t stand wrinkles like socks in my shoes. That’s fairly easily solved: pull the socks taut. It’s not a terrible problem because I don’t even wear socks much. My biggest problem now is my sleepwear. I cannot sleep in pajamas. They get all bunched up. I prefer nightgowns and always have. But now those are bunching up too. I can’t stand the feel of a wrinkle or bunched fabric against my skin. The only type that feels okay is silk. And you know how much silk costs!! It’s hard to justify spending $150 on a silk nightshirt. On the other hand, if you spend 1/3 of your life in bed and are a princess, then perhaps it’s justified! Yeah, that's about right. After all, I think I might be a princess! And I just never knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.