Monday, October 3, 2022

Monday Mystery

I'm not trying to cause trouble here. But, I just don't get it.
I do not understand about this "pronoun" thing and people identifying as this and that. I just don't get it. If you are referring to someone, you would say "she" or "he"--isn't that just proper English? But wouldn't you mostly just use their name? And what's up with the one that says "she/they"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm pretty sure "they" indicates more than one person. 

 I guess I'm too old to wrap my brain around this new concept.

It's a mystery to me.

2 comments:

  1. I used to work in a school and we had training in this concept. We were a girls school up to age 16, then the sixth form (aged 16-18) had boys too. In the last 5 years that I worked there we had students who were girls for the first 5 years, but were in the process of transitioning and returned as boys for the last 2 years. It was very hard to change pronouns when talking to someone who left for the summer holidays as 'she' and returned wishing to be known as 'he'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be less confusing, language-wise, if we just came up with a new set of pronouns. We don't need to change meanings of words that render them useless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.