Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Tuesday Thoughts about...

...organizing a big project. 

When it came to the beach condo remodel, I knew it was going to be a big job. I had to figure out how I was going to organize all the bits and details. 

My original thought was that I'd use a 3-ring binder and tabs. When I went up to my supply closet (yes, I have a huge supply closet with pens, paper, notebooks, binders, envelopes---every office supply you could ever want), instead of the binder, I saw this pocket folder thing that I've had for years. Knowing me, I bought it because I thought it was a good idea and then never had anything I needed it for. Now was the perfect time!
I had the urge to "decorate" it, but stopped myself. "Come on, Barb, it's just a little folder set! You just need practicality!" I wish the first one was any other color besides purple as that's my least favorite. But it doesn't really matter now, does it? No.
I labeled--I have tons of labels too-- each section to represent each room of the condo. 
I filled it with pictures of what I picked out, notes of what I wanted to do, ideas, receipts and business cards.
I included the paint swatches for each room.
It worked out perfectly and made it easy to find any information I needed. My plan is to put this in a file box along with the hundreds of warranty and instruction manuals and bits from all the appliances, furniture and each aspect of the "stuff" we bought. Most likely it will never be looked at again. But in case of any issues, at least I'll have everything in one place. 

Before iPhones and computers, I was a spiral notebook kind of gal. It was my life!! I used it for everything in my life from the grocery list to travel plans. It was easy enough to flip through and find gift lists, menus, ideas, to do lists, recipes and any other info in my life at the time. Everything was in there. I used a notebook for each of my clients when I had my organizing business too. That worked out great. In fact, once, a full year after a project, I got a call from the client and had the info right there in her notebook.

I miss my notebooks. Now it's all on my phone or computer. It's not the same. It's not as rewarding. I've adjusted. I'm not even sure I could go back. 

Times have definitely changed. 

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. The time spent to organize it all paid off then and will again in the future, I'm sure. I still have a box of stuff from our redecorating projects, but I did manage to photograph all the paint and fabric swatches so that I have them for easy reference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.