Wednesday, February 20, 2019

What I Buy Wednesday

...well, I think I've done it this time! This post was going to be a little bit braggy. But then it went horribly wrong!!!

I'll start at the beginning with the bragging.

You might remember the problems I had getting rid of a couple of printers. If not, you can check it out here.

It wasn't long before those two old printers were finally gone that I started to have problems with my current printer. If I tried to print something in color, it would come out all wrong. Even something printed in black would come out pink---unless I specifically selected to print in black. I changed the cartridges, but that didn't help. I limped along with it for a couple months.

Then, I got a rewards notice from Office Depot for $21.22 that was going to expire the end of February. I decided to put that towards a new printer. I got an HP that was normally $59.99 on sale for $39.99. By the time I applied the $21.22, the cost (with tax) was $22.67--free shipping. Twenty bucks for a printer is pretty darn good, I'd say. In fact, it seems crazy to me that the ink cartridges cost more than the darn printer!

When I bragged to Butch, he wasn't too impressed, telling me that he still had the old 12" printer in the garage. I reminded him that the ink cartridges for that thing were crazy expensive and dried out if they weren't used regularly.

Anyhoooo, the same day the printer arrived, I got another rewards coupon from Office Depot for $11.34. Whatttt??? That brought the cost of the printer down to $9.33! Nuts, right?

Now I'm feeling all smug about my purchase---looking forward to being able to print pictures again.

I'll stop here to say that I have installed at least a dozen printers over the years---helping my friends and family too. I unpack the printer. I start reading the easy install booklet. For the final installation, I have to visit the HP website. No problem, I figured that was to download the drivers.

Once I get to the website, I click on "install a printer."  A chat box pops up. I"m like (to Butch), "are you kidding me? I have to go through a chat to install the printer?" I started the process. Not too far in, Ann Wilson---the chat girl, said she need me to give her access to my computer. That didn't seem right to me. I pride myself in not getting "duped." Rather than give her permission, I called the number on the top of the website to make sure it was legit. A woman answered and said, "yes, it was legit." I give access. Ann Wilson takes over my computer.

Now this is where it all goes wrong. All of a sudden, "Ann" tells me I cannot install the printer until some corrupt files are removed that are interfering with the download process. I say, "okay." Next she comes back with, "well, I can do that for you for $99.99. WTF??? NO! I am not doing that for a ten buck printer. I tell her so. She asks why not, I tell her I'm not paying that. She says "hold on while I check with my supervisor." She comes back with, "my supervisor says I can do it for $49.99." Now my suspicions are really heightened. I simply disconnect.

Less than a minute later, I get a phone call (I had provided my number "in case we got disconnected"). It was Ann Wilson! OMGosh y'all---it was the exact same woman I talked to---to make sure this was legit! Now I was freaked out. Everyone knows that the people doing the online chats are NOT the same ones answering the phone when you call. In fact, getting the same person on the phone twice in a row in nearly impossible.

Freaking out, I told Ann that this was a SCAM!!! I had been scammed! My heart is racing. I just gave  her access to everything on my computer. I don't know what that means. I don't have a list of passwords on my computer, but I don't know if they can get a hold of all my websites that allow me to login in automatically without putting in the passwords.

I did the only thing I could think of. I put an SOS text out to Wade, my AV and computer guy. He called me right away. I told him the entire scenario. He texted me back with a scam website that looks like HP but the logo isn't exactly the same. That was it!! I didn't even notice the logo looked different---I used the website listed in the printer material. Still, I was duped. Wade told me to just keep my computer turned off until he could get out here to check everything out for me.

I have been sick about it, but so far, nothing seems amiss. My bank or credit cards have not been hacked. I'm looking forward to Wade's visit today.

Suddenly, my ten buck printer has turned in to a $99. service call! And before you ask, yes, I'm paying for it. Sheesh, at this rate, I might not be able to live on my social security after all!

That's what I get for bragging!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's awful, but thank goodness you got suspicious when you did or it could have been so much worse. Have you reported the fake website to HP? There may be a lot of other people being taken in by them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that's very scary. I hope you got away before they planted anything on your machine, or stole any information.

    I don't know what you use for virus protection, but I use McAfee and it includes McAfee web advisor. When you do a search, it "green lights" legitimate sites, and shows a grey symbol if the site has not been verified. It also pops up warnings before going directly to any website it deems risky. Maybe you could ask Wade if there are similar solutions. Good luck, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man that sucks! So I'm wondering how the scam site got in the printer material? Unless the scammers are somehow redirecting from HP's actual site. In either case, I'm with Deb - you should report it to HP - maybe you can save someone else from a racing heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.