Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Travel Tuesdays/Metropolis

Well, since we seem to be doing so much traveling these days, I've decided to start up another meme---Travel Tuesdays. That way, I can spread out these (boring because you weren't there) travel posts. Here goes.

On the way to St. Louis three weeks ago, we made a stop in Metropolis, Illinois. You know what that is---right? The home of Superman!
In all these years--nearly 34 to be exact, we have passed by but never stopped. On this trip, we planned for it. We timed it to coincide with lunch and added a little sightseeing and geo-caching.
Our first stop was this Italian restaurant. They are known for their meatballs. We asked the waitress about them as you could get an order of 3 or 6. Since we were getting a salad and Stromboli to share, she said 3 would be plenty. OMGosh! They were the size of baseballs! I can't believe I didn't take a picture! They were delicious---probably the best I've ever had. We got the antipasto salad. It was so huge the we said we could have done without the Stromboli. There was so much meat and other "stuff" that I made the comment that they went a little too light on the lettuce! And then the Stromboli--stuffed sandwich---it had to be a whole loaf of frozen bread dough. We finally peeled back the bread to get to the filling. We were sad that we couldn't bring home leftovers. Butch gave this restaurant 5 stars on Trip Advisor (he's one of the top posters in Nashville).
After lunch, we browsed the town. I had to take a picture of my Super Man!! We never did find the statue of Lois Lane. We saw signs, but never found it. I don't think it's there anymore.

Geocaching took us in to someone's yard where we had to identify a series of flowers on a handprinted birdhouse to figure out the puzzle. That was fun, but the original art was a little hard to decipher. I think I got 3 out of 4 of the flowers. Butch was able to figure it out from there.
Our next cache was in this cemetery. The cemetery is famous for the grave of the "birdman" of Alcatraz. We were not directed to his grave---I think they wanted to keep that part low key. Because, after all, he was a criminal!

All in all, we spent about an hour and a half in Metropolis. As a result, that break really made the trip go by much faster! I just can't believe that we didn't stop sooner.

We'll have to hunt for other things of interest to do the next time we make that trip.




1 comment:

  1. Great picture of your two Supermen! Thanks for the whistle stop tour of Metropolis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.