Monday, August 6, 2018

Camp Aunt Barb 2018

We need to back track a bit here. The two and a half weeks that I was without my computer left my blogging in arrears. I'll be posting some of the things that happened during that time that I want to remember.

First up, Camp Aunt Barb 2018.

It started with a difference of opinion. Jeanne and Janet were disagreeing on when they would leave for Nashville. They drew me in to it. Of course I DIDN'T take the middle road---I gave my opinion. Janet wanted to leave on Wednesday after Jeanne got off work. Jeanne wanted to leave Thursday morning. After hearing both sides, I sided with Janet. Why wouldn't you want to get the drive out of the way and have a WHOLE day to the start of the weekend? As it turns out, my opinion didn't matter anyway. Jeanne won. They didn't get here until 2:30 p.m. on Thursday. My point, exactly!
A week or so before they came, Jeanne sent me this damage waiver. My first thought was that it's hysterical. My second thought was---Jeanne must not have too much work to do! BTW--I didn't sign it! No way was I giving them a totally FREE pass!
Some of the "stuff" I bought for the "littles." I had lots of games and activities planned. I also did kid friendly food for the weekend.
The very first thing I did was use the idea Sandy gave me---give them flip flops, but hide one. I hid one flip flop on the patio for the kids to find. I love "hunt" type activities.
 Last year I did t-shirts---this year hats.
The amount of stuff these 4 little kids had just cracked me up. The funniest part is that the boys only have the two suitcases in the back. The rest belongs to the girls! That reminded me of the time when our girls were little and we went to St. Louis for the weekend. Between the girls and I, we had 26 pairs of shoes!! Butch was sort of ranting as he was loading the car---"how could you possibly need that many pairs of shoes?!" He didn't get---we didn't even try to explain! One word---GIRLS!
I didn't take very many pictures---Janet??? She's our family picture taker. As far as inside activities, they took place in the dining room. We taught the kids how to play poker. Janet had given the girls their poker purses for Easter. Jeanne gave the boys theirs upon arrival. Those boys were obsessed with their poker money! The very first thing Friday morning, Travis said, "Aunt Barb, what did grandma do with our poker money!" They carried it around quite a bit. We played fan tan, pass the trash, left right center, rummy royal and bingo. Butch even got in to the act now and then. I was surprised at how quickly these kids really picked up the games. We all had fun with them. Poor little Evie--she was the biggest loser. Although she wasn't happy about that, she didn't quit!
This is my favorite story of the weekend. When the "littles" arrived, I told them that there was only ONE rule at Camp Aunt Barb's---NO GOING UP OR DOWN THE DANGEROUS STEPS!! I had this same rule when our grandkids were little. I was always afraid of how steep and slick these stairs are---and not just for kids! I can't tell you how many times I've slipped myself! The bottom is marble, so a tumble from the top would not be good.

Anyway, sometime, I "caught" Travis and Evie on them. I immediately called them down and said, "I am embarrassed that I have to put such big kids in time out. You two are way too old for this!" Immediately, Evie dissolved in to tears. Travis was sort of ---eh, who cares! Of course he didn't say that, just how it came across. After their sentence was up---a little later, Evie said, "Aunt Barb, can we have two pieces of paper and a pencil?" I just handed it over not knowing what they needed it for. Then they asked for tape.
They put up these signs. OMGosh! So. Darn. Cute! And inventive. I think they are developing some pretty good problem solving skills. Whatever it takes to remind them to "not go up thees stas!"

As it turns out, I had to invoke one more rule. The very first time we were out at the pool, Josie pooped! I read her the riot act and said, "NO POOPING IN THE POOL! If you poop in the pool, you won't be able to go in again---not today, not tomorrow, not ever!" She did have a swim diaper on, but still---she's nearly potty trained, so she knows. Every time we went out to the pool, I said, "Josie, what's Aunt Barb's rule?" She replied, "No poopin' in the pool!" She got it---and she didn't.
Are they not adorable! Josie is holding her poker purse. We had a great time---I had a ball with them. It made me so happy when Travis said, "Aunt Barb, can we come to Camp Aunt Barb again?" Awwww! I said, "Yep, we'll keep having Camp Aunt Barb until you don't want to do it anymore!" Jeanne, jumped in "Uhhh, we'll see about that!" She was exhausted. Hello---little kids are exhausting! That's just how it is. But we can certainly handle a long weekend. Or maybe not. If Jeanne gets her way next year, they might not arrive until Friday afternoon!

It was a wild, loud and raucous weekend. Butch deserves a lot of credit! He helped me shop for the "stuff" and picked out the beach towels. He's so easy going--I know much of it had to drive him nuts, but he never said a word!!

Side note:
The whole reason I started Camp Aunt Barb in 2017, was because I wanted these kids to know who I am. I only see them a couple times a year. Well, our last weekend as a family with Ronnie--- Janet insisted on a family picture. Jeanne was complaining about it (hmmm, I'm starting to see a pattern here). Anyway, I'm so glad we did.
This is our last picture of the seven of us. I'm so happy to have it. Amidst everything going on, Janet had the forethought to have it printed and framed for us. She gave it to us the day of Ronnie's Celebration of Life party. I'll cherish it always! Anyway, Jeanne was showing it to Travis and Nathan and asking them who each person was. The only ones they knew were their grandma and Aunt Barb!! That made me so happy! Of course they know the others, but probably not their names. It dawned on me that when you are born in to a family, you are never formally introduced!

They will always remember Aunt Barb! At least I hope so!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun, lovely idea - I bet the kids had a wonderful time. I love the idea of the hats, and also the 'hunt the flip flop' to get the weekend started. What a fun Aunt you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure they (and you) will remember your shared time for many years to come! That handwritten notice is priceless...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.