Friday, August 17, 2018

The Battle of Shiloh

One of my bucket list items is to visit all of the Civil War battlefields. Of course, I know that's a much too lofty goal. Still, I want to go to as many as I can. Thus, on a recent B & B day (Butch and Barb day), we decided to go to Shiloh. It's about 2 hours away.
We stopped at Cherry Mansion along the way. It's a Civil War era house where one of the generals from the battle died. On the way there, we found that we were also on the Trail of Tears.
When we arrived at the mansion, we saw these signs. As it turns out, this is a ferry crossing where the Indians were taken across the river.
 We travelled along the Natchez Trace for some of our trip.
 I was so excited to see the original trace. It's pretty amazing that you can still see the road.
We stopped for a geo-cache at this phosphate mine. That's the thing we love about geo-caching---we learn so much and see such unusual things. It was a brief hike through the woods to the mine. I don't think I'm still clear on what the heck phosphate is anyway.
We stopped at the burial place of Merriwether Lewis (of Lewi and Clark). There seems to be some speculation as to whether he was murdered or committed suicide. We're pretty sure it was murder because he was shot twice. I've never heard of a suicide victim that shot himself twice. 

We went to the Catfish Motel for lunch. It wasn't a motel at all, but just a restaurant---with fabulous food! The cole slaw was really good---served without the dressing. The dressing was on the side---thousand island dressing! We were surprised at that, but it was really good! We had the catfish---so good. Butch loves catfish! I like it too, but don't order it as often as he does.

Another fun day together!

2 comments:

  1. So much interesting stuff. I have read about the battle of Shiloh, I developed a great interest in your civil war - we have had a few of our own here too. The Trail of Tears I have heard about and will be 'googling' as soon as I finish writing. Thank you for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a FUN day! We visited the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center several years ago, but didn't have time to stop at Shiloh that day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.