Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The Fish Fry!

Sandy and family arrived on Thursday night. They have been coming to Nashville the first weekend in October for 4 years now to go to Kid Rock's Fish Fry. This year, Stephanie, Nicky, Butch and I decided to go. 

Oh my gosh! All I can say is the it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to---and I've been to a lot!! Dozens at least. Sandy had prepared us for what to expect. She was concerned that we would be put off about everything. As it turns out, it wasn't any worse than any other concert we've been to. 

Let me start off by saying that pretty much as soon as we arrived, I started to think "I'm getting too old for this." I didn't like that we had to park sort of far away (which turned out to not be all that far). I didn't like that we had to stand up and eat our food. I didn't like that I had to put my wet bottle of water in my purse in order to balance my food. I didn't like that people were smoking. I didn't like that the concert was going to last until 11 p.m. and it was only 6 p.m. I didn't like that it was kind of hot. 

You get the picture. I WAS acting kind of old! Maybe I wasn't old,  just "hangry!" Because once we got our dinner---we had the Cajun catfish sandwich (which was excellent)---I started to feel better. Then, when we got to our seats, I was really happy! Sandy had gotten us seats on the end. I don't like being blocked in. 

Sandy had been preparing us all year for what to expect.
She warned us about:
1. Drunk people. I expected there to be falling down, vomiting drunk people, falling on me---not the case at all. Just the regular amount of drunk people.
2. Pot smoking. I thought it was pretty funny when Steph leaned over and said, "can you smell all the pot?" I said, "yeah, it's a rock concert!" I don't think I've ever been to an outdoor concert that didn't have pot smoking going on.
3. Foul language. Heck, you hear that just about everywhere these days. Yes, Kid Rock has a lot of explicit lyrics. But there's no doubt that you get the message! 
4. Huge crowds. The crowds were not any worse than going to the theater or any place with a lot of people.
5. Long lines. The lines weren't at all long for the food or drinks that we wanted. 
6. High prices. The prices for the food seemed reasonable, but the beers were pretty expensive--$9.00! I paid $5.00 for a bottle of water, but I only needed one so that wasn't so bad.

All in all, it was way better than I expected.

Now for the photos:
Stephanie and Nicky showed up like this---a couple of rednecks! I thought it was hilarious and wanted Nicky to wear the fake wig and tats to the concert. Steph said he'd probably get beat up!

 Stephanie and Nicky rode the Ferris wheel. Sandy said they always have it. It was sure pretty at night.
 Greg, Sandy, Stephanie and Nicky.
Butch and I.
The opening act was George Thorogood. Butch was excited about that-- as he's always loved GT. 
He is and amazing guitar player and put on a really good show. He started at 7:30 and played for an hour.

Next up was Kid Rock. He opened to a fireworks display.

The show was great! There was only one song that I thought was a little too much of a head banger for me. Then there was another song that I liked until it got to the "rift." So basically, I liked all but 1.5 songs! He had 6 wardrobe changes. He used the "F" word about 183 times (only kidding, I didn't really count). It didn't bother me because I know what a good guy he is outside of his stage persona. Another thing I loved was the pictures from when he was young and then when he started out in his career. His bandmate told some really funny stories.
But then we all really loved his tribute to the military. I'm not talking just a minute or two. I'm talking about a whole segment of photos honoring our soldiers and thanking them for their service. He talked about the fact that he gets to do what he does because they do what they do to keep us all free. It was so obvious that he is a major patriot---and we LOVED that! With so many stupid athletes taking a knee, it was refreshing to have someone acknowledge what the military does for us. It was a great way to end the show and included another fireworks display.

Honestly, we all loved it and have plans to go again! High energy and just plain fun!

More to come of their visit as it was a jam packed weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Well done you! I think Nos. 1-6 would have me curling up by the fire with a good book instead :). Your photos show what a great time you all had.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.