Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Travel Tuesday

A little more Route 66---this time the segment to Springfield, MO. We were with Walter and Chris on our way to Big Cedar Lodge. I absolutely love breaking up long car rides with little stops along the way. Butch is an expert planner for sure!!
 It's exciting to me that many of the little places along Route 66 are still in existence.
 Although this wasn't exactly on Route 66, we decided to make the detour to see this old jail.
 Many of the motels along the way are still in business---hence the large motel sign---which can be seen from the highway.
 All that's left of the cafe is the sign. Still, I'm glad they left it! This old stuff is so interesting to me.
"Get your kicks on Route 66!" This slogan has been around since I was a little girl. It's unbelievable to me that some people near my age have never heard of Route 66. I really don't know how that's possible. One is from Boston and the other is from Pittsburgh. I get that Route 66 was not near where they grew up, but it just seems to me that it was common knowledge. Apparently not.
This market is still owned by the original family that opened it in the 1940's. We stopped in and bought a couple candy bars. Butch got a Route 66 baseball cap to add to his collection---a collection that he actually wears. It's a really cool, old-fashioned store. The women manning it were cute and friendly. (women manning---seems like an oxymoron!)
 Our last stop was the local library. Inside was the Route 66 museum. It was really cool.
 There were three "rooms" set up to replicate a diner with ALL original stuff.
 A motel unit---exact size.
 And a view to the inside of the room.

After the museum, we stopped in the gift shop. I didn't buy anything, but I did get a couple Christmas ideas.
This fall quilt was hanging on the door. I love all the colors and the combination, but I have no use for it.

I've gotten to be very particular about my purchases. Chris made a comment about it as she spent close to a thousand dollars over the weekend. Basically, I keep three things in mind when it comes to shopping these days: 1. I don't---shop, that is. I'm too much of an impulse buyer. If I want it, I buy it and "I don't care what it costs!" (inside joke with my friends). 2. I don't need anything--I'm trying to get rid of stuff! Because, 3. Our kids don't want our stuff! I keep saying it, and I wholeheartedly believe it! Except, of course, my needlepoint. I'm still happy that my girls and grands DO want that!

So that's it for Route 66 for this year. I was actually to accomplish my goal of doing part of it while I'm 66. We had two little road trips and that was perfect! Next up, the leg from St. Louis to Chicago and St. Louis, itself. We'll do that in the coming year. After that, we will have done the entire segment from Chicago to Oklahoma City. In 2020, our plan is to meet Walter and Chris in Oklahoma City, rent a van and then drive the segment to New Mexico. We'll fly home from there.

Little by little, we'll get it done! Sure it might have been more fun to do the whole thing at one time-- but since I want to stop at anything left along the way, that would take way too long. Plus, I think it would become boring. This way, it's always exciting!

1 comment:

  1. That museum photo reminds me of the set from the tv show 'Happy Days'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.