Saturday, October 27, 2018

Talk about "BOO-tiful"...

...that would be Nancy's house! Hers has always been one of my favorites in terms of style and layout. She goes all out for holiday decorating. We talked about how much work it is. I admire her for continuing to do it all. And she does it for every holiday! Most people ask where she keeps it all. Well, I have been in her storage closet. It's huge---and full! I should talk. I have a smaller one, and it's packed full too! Anyway, this post is not about me---back to Nancy.

It all started when she handed out hand-made invitations at our last book club meeting.
She has a great craft room (which I helped to set up--oops, a little about me) so I'm not surprised she had everything she needed to make the invitations. Right away, when I saw the costume part, I moaned! I pretty much hate costumes.
Still, I didn't want to be totally lame. As it turns out, I was festive enough. You can't really see, but my earrings are witches hats too. And then I have a bracelet and the appropriate Halloween colors along with black jeans and boots. Oops, a little more about me.

We arrived to this:

OMGosh! The outside is even decorated. They live on a farm, so I guess it's pretty easy to get a few hay bales. I bought a small one to use in decorating my front porch several years ago (which I haven't done this year), but what a mess! The bale drops straw everywhere. (Ooops, a little more about me!)I love everything about this---the dead cornstalks, the pumpkins, the gourds, the mums! It all looks perfect.


 Her front door wreath is pretty cool too.

 When you step in the door, this bowl of eyeballs greets you.
She made this pumpkin with all the mice.

 The dining room and another Nancy.

The mantle was awesome too. Love the mantle scarf.
I love this centerpiece and her collection of skulls! So darn cute/creepy! I know a lot of people like the tamer side of Halloween, but I like it all!
I'm sorry that I was so busy taking pictures of Nancy's decor, that I didn't get any shots of friends. I pulled these from Diane's Facebook post. I'm so glad she snapped a few shots. From Left, Linda the nun (which reminds me that I have that costume somewhere!), me, and yet, another Nancy and Nancy!
Nancy, the party giver (I feel the need to differentiate between all the Nancy's!) made this pillow. She has one of those fancy schmancy, expensive embroidery sewing machines. Her "gift" for the exchange was a set of embroidered hand towels. I'm hoping to snag some things at her upcoming sale--the last year--for Creative Chaos on November 2nd & 3rd. (Shameless plug.) If you are local (or even if you're not) and want more information, contact me.
Another handmade pillow. I've always loved her pink and green living room. This Halloween print is perfect!
 It's all in the details---and she had plenty of those!

After a delicious lunch, we proceeded to the gift exchange/game. We played the "rob your neighbor" game with the wrapped gifts. As per the invitation, we were to bring a wrapped, $10-$15 Halloween type item. At least that's how I interpreted it! Nancy said that a couple people were unsure---thinking they should bring a Christmas type gift. Her daughter said it was unclear on the invitation. Hello!!! It's a Halloween party! Seemed pretty clear to me! Anyway, to be fair and not to make my friends look a little dim, we have only ever done this game at Christmas time with our annual ornament exchange. In fact, the game is not what Nancy actually had in mind. But everyone assumed we would be playing the game, so she acquiesced. It's played like this: 1. Everyone draws a number based on the number of people). 2. Number 1 picks a gift and opens it. 3. Number 2 can either "steal" that gift or pick another. 4. Game proceeds until the last person. It's always a fun game. The only time I don't like it is when it's for gag gifts of the "white elephant" style---I don't need anymore junk---and certainly don't want to spend money on junk!

The game was great fun. My "win" is below. But first...
My favorite hostess on the left and then my favorite Brit on the right (Diane).
This is what I came home with! I was number 1. The gift I drew was stolen by number 2 so I drew another. I was lucky (and thrilled) to get this giant bug AND one of Nancy A's. famed chess pies. I was nervous that someone was going to steal it from me. I lucked out and was able to take it home. Nancy had cute party favors with my favorite (although I've never actually made it)---peanuts and candy corn!

It was so much fun! I'm so glad Nancy did it. I appreciate all the work involved. Thanks, girl!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks like it was so much fun! I'm not a great one for dressing up either - already in a dilemma on to what to wear for our halloween Zumba class this week, I have exactly the same head band as you - but that's as far as I've got! Love how Nancy has decorated her house, she's put so much thought into everything - what fun friends you have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.