Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Do You Believe in Miracles? Do You Remember...

...Sidney and Sheldon? You can refresh your memory here. It's been 6 years since we had them. You may recall that one escaped in the kitchen---never to be found again---I mean NEVER. Not even when we got a new refrigerator which is where I was sure he ended up under. Anyway, we released Sidney or Sheldon (I never could tell them apart) in to our back yard pond. That fall, he was gone---I mean GONE! Never to be seen again. I mean NEVER!

But, it's a miracle!! Truly, by the definition (a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency) this fits the bill.

Could it be...no, absolutely not!! But then how??? You be the judge:
I was eating breakfast and reading American Pickers, when Butch called me outside. I could not believe my eyes! Could it be? Dear little Sydney or Sheldon?
Here are the Facts:
1. The pond has been cleaned out completely every year.
2. Two years ago, Butch took it all apart and replaced the liner.
3. Only one of the plants is original to 6 years ago.
4. Red eared sliders are tropical and could not survive our winters.
5. Turtles breathe air, so it could not live below the freeze line (18" in TN).
6. Also, since it is tropical, it is unlikely that it was just crawling around Tennessee and found its way in to our pond.

The Possibilities:
1. It buried itself in the plant and has lived all these years without us noticing.
2. A bird dropped it while flying over-head (that bird would need to be signed up with the Baltimore Orioles if it had an eye that good).
3. It came with the floating plants we buy every year (this seems unlikely as it surely would have jumped or fallen off the plant---plus it would have been clearly visible). 
4. It came in the one potted plant bought this year---again, it would have had to have been buried in the dirt to not have been seen, or it would have jumped off.

We really have no idea and cannot think of any other scenario that would have that turtle showing up in our pond. What do you think? I'm calling the plant store to see if I can get to the bottom of this mystery.

A further dilemma---at the time, I spent $30 buying an assortment of turtle food so they could have variety in their diet. That was a lot of turtle food. Wouldn't you know it, I got rid of it just a year or so ago. Bummer.

Update:
I called the aquatic store. They are sure the turtle did not come from their plants as they do not have them in their ponds. The mystery deepens.





6 comments:

  1. That is so exciting and funny! What a find and how could to have him back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too much of a mystery for me to fathom. He (whoever) is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha .....he's been keeping an eye on you all this time.
    "America Pickers"..is this a book? i'm intrigued....we all watch American Pickers on the TV here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm glad Sidney reappeared (he's definitely a Sidney and not a Sheldon ;) where ever he's been all this time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.