Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Seen at the Beach!

We had a fabulous time at the beach. It wasn't too hot or crowded. Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves. 

This was the sunrise on the first morning I walked. This is over a little lake--obviously not the beach.
This was the prettiest bush.
The berries are so pretty. I have no idea if they are edible. I doubt it though.
I have a plant identifier app on my phone (of course I do!). But this came up as an unknown species. Huh? Surely any reliable app should be able to figure this one out! I'd say this app lets me down about 25% of the time!
When the girls were working, we got out of the way. We had errands and also did a little geo-caching. This one is tiny!
Still, you can see that the log is rolled up inside.
Butch was able to sign it and then get it back inside--sometimes a little tricky. 
We had a couple days on the beach. It wasn't too crowded and people were social distancing. Stephanie and Mindy got in the ocean, but noticed the jellyfish. They promptly got out before being stung. Then, the flies started biting! So annoying. You just never know what the beach will be like. Most of the time, it's beautiful. There was a nice breeze. I hate it when it's so darn hot.
The dragonflies were everywhere. The males are pretty---this one is alive. Mindy was asking Stephanie all kinds of questions about them---as if she's a science expert. Well, she was a teacher, so it stands to reason that she might know something about them. We saw them mating and landing in the pool. Butch tried to rescue some of them because it seemed they would drown as there  were many dead ones around. Curious, I looked them up. They actually land in the water to lay their eggs. They even fly around while mating. That's called "tandem linkage." Who knew! We watched a fight between two males over a female. 
Stephanie was freaked out that one of them landed on her flip flop after the fight. Turns out, it died there! Anyway, we had quite discussion about them.

We walked to a place down the street called The Growler Garage.
You get to choose a tasting of 6 different beers. 
They mark them so you'll know which one you like the best. Butch and I had a Bloody Mary.
This little guy stopped by for a visit. You cannot tell how tiny he is in this photo.
Here's a better view so you can understand the scale.
He was so cute and didn't seem to be a bit afraid of us. There are lizards everywhere down there.

Steph wasn't happy that he was climbing on her beer. I guess he wanted a drink! We were enjoying the beautiful weather outside. This little guy was a welcome surprise!

A few weeks ago, my niece, Bridget took this photo from our back porch.
On the way to drop Steph and Mindy at the airport, we stopped at The Donut Hole. I had to take a picture. Look at the size of those cinnamon rolls and bear claws! They dwarfed the regular size donuts below. I really wanted that cinnamon roll, but even though it could feed 4, I didn't want the challenge!

All in all, it was a great trip to the beach. We had some great seafood and were able to sit outside. We all have our favorite places now, so sometimes it's hard to narrow it down. 

Now that we're going to do some remodeling, we'll be going down a little more frequently to make sure there are no miscommunications. I can't wait! I've already been shopping! More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.