Thursday, March 5, 2020

The REAL ID

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and go for my REAL ID. Actually, when I took my car in for repair, it made sense because the dmv was just a block away.

After dropping my car, I got in line at 7:45 a.m. There were 25 people ahead of me. One gal got there at 6:45. She deserved to be first! The place didn't open until 8:30 a.m. I had everything in hand---or so I thought.

At 8:30 sharp (not a minute before) they corralled us all inside and then went through the list of what you needed to have with you.
1. Current driver's license with your home address---you couldn't have a different address than what's on your license.√ (Check)
2. Passport.* √ (Check)
*If you do not have a passport, you need your birth certificate. If you are married you also need your marriage license. If you are divorced, you need to bring the marriage certificate and divorce decree---for each marriage. They need to trace your name from birth to present day. I pity the people that have been married multiple times! (That's ridiculous!)
3. Two proofs of residence like utility bills. √(Check)
4. Social Security Card. Now here's the thing. I do not have a social security card anymore. I have no idea what happened to it. At one time, I did have the other side of the card that just had the number. But, I couldn't find that. I have a feeling (very strong) that I scrapbooked that. Anyway, Butch gave me the 5 sheets from the social security office that has every bit of critical information about me---date, place and name at birth, who and when I married, Butch's date of birth and social security number AND my social security number in about 5 different places. Surely that would suffice. But oh, no! It has to be the actual card. OR, you could have a W-2 or a 1099. Duh, I'm retired, hence the Social Security official documents!!! Crap, crap, crap!

I ended up having to leave. Now I have to figure out how to get a duplicate social security card. Sheesh. Can they make this any more difficult? This is ridiculous. I always thought your passport was your ultimate identification. Yes, I know you can get a forged one. But then, you can get any forged documents if you know the right people. I don't, so I'm s*****d!

What a friggin' hassle!! I could just carry my passport all the time, but then if I lose it or it's stolen, then I'm really s*****d!

Oh, and if you heard you can go somewhere else where it might be less crowded---don't do it! There was a guy in line that said, after waiting a couple hours somewhere else, he was told he had to get it in his own county!!

What a joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.