Wednesday, December 4, 2019

What I Buy Wednesday

Well, I actually have a lot of things to blog about. But, since our internet has been down for the past day and a half, I'm way behind. I'll get it done---eventually.

Today's post is about what I buy.

It's been a pretty expensive week for purchases. First, I have to mention Thanksgiving. There's so much shopping that goes along with that. When it comes to the turkey, I prefer a Honeysuckle White. Our store either didn't carry them this year, or they were sold out by the time I shopped. So, I bought the store brand. I was shocked!
 Can you see it? I got an 18+ pound bird. It was $9.06! Are you kidding me! That's cheaper than chicken, ground beef and steak put together!! 49 cents a pound. I need to cook turkey more often! It's so darn easy too!
I decided that I was not going to make pumpkin pie this year as I always end up throwing it away. Instead, I splurged on this caramel cake from Dessert Designs (our premier cake baker in Nashville). To put it in perspective, it cost 7 times as much as the turkey! (Do you remember your times tables?) Yep, every crumb was gone within 18 hours! Even the caramel frosting on the edge was scraped clean!

I don't think it would be Thanksgiving if something didn't go wrong---tv problems, heating problems, sink stopped up, etc. This year, it was the microwave. It went kaput on Wednesday. I wasn't happy, but figured we'd just have to do like we did in the olden days and melt butter on top of the stove. I didn't really give it a second thought until I realized I couldn't heat up my tea! Butch thought about the leftovers. How could we heat those up? Sooooo, Wednesday afternoon, we headed out to find a new one. Now, buying a microwave is not the easiest thing in the world for us. Our house is old as is the opening for the microwave. Add to that---I want a white one. The first store we went to was Walmart. Butch thought a couple would fit, but they weren't white. I told him that if it was meant to be a temporary purchase, then I'd go with it. But, I was not going to "settle" just because we were under the gun.

Next we stopped at Sam's. I waited in the car because I was certain they wouldn't have anything that would work. Well, I was wrong! He came out with this one.
He had to do a few things to make it fit, but he did. Crisis averted!!

I guess the best thing about having to go out hunting for a microwave was that by the time we got back, all the food prep was finished!! This is the easiest Thanksgiving I've ever had!! The girls are so good about pitching in. This time, they did it all!

Sandy, Elizabeth and I got up early and did some Black Friday shopping. We really had a good time with it and found some good buys. We were out for 4 hours!! A new (old) tradition that I'll do with the girls as long as they want to do it.

So the only other buying I've done this week, was Christmas shopping.
I just piled all the boxes in the library. I started wrapping on Sunday. I have a long way to go with that, but I'm pretty sure the shopping is done. I only am waiting on one more gift.

1 comment:

  1. I too have decided that we need to eat more turkey, because cooking it is usually the easiest thing to prepare on Thanksgiving. I was worried for you that your built-in microwave went out - trying to replace one can be tricky if the cabinets need to be reworked. Thanksgiving reminds me every year that I want two built-in wall ovens and a microwave that is easier to replace in my next house.

    PS I bet everyone enjoyed that cake 7X more than the turkey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.